Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Our Morning Coffee and Weather

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: Our Morning Coffee and Weather

Post by Redthies » Mon May 06, 2024 3:04 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:48 am
Got a good start on my wood splitting yesterday, one rack full and three to go. More effort today pending.

IMG_5007.jpeg
I built an add on to my garage the other day for wood. Will get close to 2 cords under cover in that space. It’s definitely time to split as the heat will be upon us next week!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 am

Light Rain, 55°F, Humidity 100%
Wind Speed S 5 mph
Barometer 29.43 in
Dewpoint 55°F
Visibility 10.00 mi
High near 69.
Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming south southwest in the afternoon.
Showers and thunderstorms before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue May 07, 2024 9:59 am

33 this morning with a filtered sun. 60 later with the high increasing daily to maybe 80 by the weekend.

Finished splitting all the wood I had staged and unfortunately the largest rounds were all rotten. That will put a dent in my total for next winter. All the rounds in the picture are punky so I’ll split them and burn with my outdoor burning later in the fall. We are not bonfire/campfire people and this would be great for that. Oh well.

IMG_5010.jpeg
IMG_5010.jpeg (5.37 MiB) Viewed 204 times
IMG_5009.jpeg
IMG_5009.jpeg (7.48 MiB) Viewed 204 times

I need more wood. I do have five trees that died over the winter to cut down and split so hopefully that will do it.

IMG_5008.jpeg
IMG_5008.jpeg (4.38 MiB) Viewed 204 times
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 07, 2024 11:34 am

that's a lot of work ... nicely done

is already 11AM on what has been a busy morning .... after breakfast we drove to North Raleigh (not fun at rush hour) to meet our daughter and grandson at a doctor's office .... she needed us to pick him up and take him to school so she could get to work as early as possible .... after we got home we picked up our pup and headed for the local city park where we wandered around for about a mile ..... nothing much on tap for the rest of today .... already 75 on its way to 87 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Wed May 08, 2024 4:50 am

The green of may is here. sweet that is. Filled both turkey tags the last week of season. With help of my partner and son and his wife, got cow herd worked for spring last Saturday, yard is mowed..
Brother is coming down this weekend to see our mom for mothers day. We will shoot some. I'm in a good spot at this moment compared to much of the world. Better sip my morning coffee and appreciate it while it lasts....
2 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed May 08, 2024 8:53 am

Fair, 52°F, Humidity 82%
Wind Speed Calm
Barometer 29.67 in
Dewpoint 46°F
Visibility 10.00 mi
Increasing clouds, with a high near 74.
Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Yard work
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am

We have 70 today and climbing to 80+ for Saturday. Lovely!

Hatch, are you burning mostly pine? We are 90% fir or larch in the house, but I’ll burn pine in the shop. It really gums up the pipe if you burn too much pine I hear. In my shop stove, I’ll burn anything. MDF and OSB throw some SERIOUS BTUs! Don’t worry, I only burn a few scraps of that stuff. Don’t want to offend the shrub cuddlers. 🤣
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:01 am
dave77 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:11 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:34 am
50 when I got up but overcast and a morning without sunshine. Maybe into the 70’s later then a big cool down starting tonight. High for tomorrow is only in the upper 40’s with rain expected most of the day. That’s too bad as the big Spokane foot race called Bloomsday is tomorrow. Not sure what the turn out is this year but it can reach 40,000. That’s a lot of cold wet folks down in Spokane. Also today is the 50 year anniversary of the Worlds Fair that Spokane hosted in 1974. This was the summer between my junior and senior year of high school and I have some great memories of the fair.

Our big Apple Blossom Parade and other events including a run are happening today and right now there's a steady drizzle and it's only in the 50's. Oh well, I was planning on staying home anyway and we can use the rain.

Did not go to the Spokane World's Fair but I do have memories of the Seattle World's Fair in 1962, I was 10 years old.
I was too young to attend the Seattle Fair but I do remember the amusement area below the Space Needle when visiting in the 70’s.

50 this morning due to the overnight overcast. This should also be our high for the day as a cold front is here. Lots of rain in the forecast but so far nothing is falling. The big race in Spokane is set to start in about a half hour so hopefully the start at least will be dry.

Heading to the wood shed here shortly to get started on winter. Man, thinking about winter in early May. Crazy. This is the wood I have ready to split so far. I do have three medium trees the died or are in the process of dying probably 14” in diameter and two small 6” that broke off/uprooted this winter. We have a pine beetle problem around here which kills a few trees each year. Those will be cut down in the next week or so. It’s important to do this before June as that’s when the beetles fly looking for more trees to kill and fresh cut trees do attract them.

IMG_5001.jpeg

IMG_5003.jpeg
I got married in Spokane in 1974 and we lived a short distance to the fair. We went to it once but for the most part avoided the downtown area that summer. The fair celebrated the environment and it brought smog to the area. All that summer the sky was a gray haze that stunk.

But the area did get a nice park the years and decades after the fair. It was especially nice when you knew what the area looked like before the fair.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 08, 2024 10:23 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 am
Hatchdog wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:01 am
dave77 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:11 pm

Our big Apple Blossom Parade and other events including a run are happening today and right now there's a steady drizzle and it's only in the 50's. Oh well, I was planning on staying home anyway and we can use the rain.

Did not go to the Spokane World's Fair but I do have memories of the Seattle World's Fair in 1962, I was 10 years old.
I was too young to attend the Seattle Fair but I do remember the amusement area below the Space Needle when visiting in the 70’s.

50 this morning due to the overnight overcast. This should also be our high for the day as a cold front is here. Lots of rain in the forecast but so far nothing is falling. The big race in Spokane is set to start in about a half hour so hopefully the start at least will be dry.

Heading to the wood shed here shortly to get started on winter. Man, thinking about winter in early May. Crazy. This is the wood I have ready to split so far. I do have three medium trees the died or are in the process of dying probably 14” in diameter and two small 6” that broke off/uprooted this winter. We have a pine beetle problem around here which kills a few trees each year. Those will be cut down in the next week or so. It’s important to do this before June as that’s when the beetles fly looking for more trees to kill and fresh cut trees do attract them.

IMG_5001.jpeg

IMG_5003.jpeg
I got married in Spokane in 1974 and we lived a short distance to the fair. We went to it once but for the most part avoided the downtown area that summer. The fair celebrated the environment and it brought smog to the area. All that summer the sky was a gray haze that stunk.

But the area did get a nice park the years and decades after the fair. It was especially nice when you knew what the area looked like before the fair.
Plus the nightly fireworks for six months. Thankfully we didn’t have the wildfires then like we do today. As a high school kid I got lots of enjoyment out of the fair but mostly the amusement rides. My siblings and I all received unlimited passes for entrance for Christmas so it was easy to spend lots of time there. (And cheap)
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 08, 2024 10:30 am

Redthies wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am
We have 70 today and climbing to 80+ for Saturday. Lovely!

Hatch, are you burning mostly pine? We are 90% fir or larch in the house, but I’ll burn pine in the shop. It really gums up the pipe if you burn too much pine I hear. In my shop stove, I’ll burn anything. MDF and OSB throw some SERIOUS BTUs! Don’t worry, I only burn a few scraps of that stuff. Don’t want to offend the shrub cuddlers. 🤣
I do burn quite a bit of pine but some fir too. I burn whatever is available to me from what trees died. The five I have now to cut up are four pines and one fir which is sadly one of the small trees. I keep my fire hot and clean my pipe annually for the exact reason you mentioned. So far so good! I suspect that I won’t be able to burn free wood much longer as both my place and my neighbors place are pretty healthy. (I get all the firewood from next door when they have a dead tree. The rotten wood I have now came from their place including a giant tree I cut up into rounds only to find it punky. Probably a couple of dozen 24” diameter rounds, bummer)

36 here today with 65 expected. Then as Redthies said the big warmup starts. 80’s this weekend. We’re thinking about heading up the the property next week for some ATV and shooting fun. But I’ll head up one day first to do some spraying of herbicide. The weeds are going to explode with these temps.
0 x