Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just starting to consider getting one

A modern classic
dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Just starting to consider getting one

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:28 am

I'm seriously considering getting one of the New Original Henrys. They simply look amazing and I may just have to get one however I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they compare to other lever guns in the over 1K price range. Based on what I've seen they do seem to command a premium so can someone confirm that the premium is justified in either wood used or overall fit and finish being better. I think my major issue isn't so much the price as the caliber. But then again for such a nice gun I may just go ahead and get it even if I can't afford to fire it but a few times a year. Thoughts???
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Just starting to consider getting one

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 am

I'm seriously considering getting one of the New Original Henrys.
I am sure you mean a replica of an original Henry made by Henry Repeating arms - as a new, ORIGINAL Henry is going to run you a high six figures - if you could find one.
No experience with the replica Henry but if it's anything close to the BBB I own then it gets a High Five from me - and Ranch Roper seems pretty satisfied with his!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:35 am

The 'New Original Henry' by HRA is beautiful!
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-ori ... nry-rifle/
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 am

Mistered wrote:
I'm seriously considering getting one of the New Original Henrys.
I am sure you mean a replica of an original Henry made by Henry Repeating arms - as a new, ORIGINAL Henry is going to run you a high six figures - if you could find one.
No experience with the replica Henry but if it's anything close to the BBB I own then it gets a High Five from me - and Ranch Roper seems pretty satisfied with his!

Yes, I mean the replica and how it would comopare to the other replicas to include the ones I am aware of such as the Winchester Miroku and the Uberti. If there are others I have not come across those yet.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:41 am

Mags wrote:The 'New Original Henry' by HRA is beautiful!
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-ori ... nry-rifle/
Yes, this one. I'm pretty familiar with what's on the website and I have seen the review by Hickock45 and Iraq8888. I was wondering if anyone here would have any further insight and maybe comparisons to the other replicas out there.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 am

If I do decide to get one then besides the caliber I also have to determine which type of receiver finish I want to go with. Are there any advantages between the three other than looks? Brass is attractive but so is Iron as well. Thoughts??
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 am

I can only speak to the Uberti 1860 that I own. Absolutely gorgeous rifle and a darn nice shooter. Fit & finish is flawless. Wood is pretty good but not as exotic as the HRA ones. I believe the Uberti reddish stain may be closer to the original Henry's from way back if you look at photos of old rifles. The Uberti has a case colored hammer and lever, the HRA one does not.
I was planning to buy the HRA one but could not justify the price. Over $3k Canadian and my Uberti was $2k. The money saved bought lots of ammo.
Mine was imported by Cimarron and carries authentic markings, with the Italian markings carefully hidden so as not to affect the historic appeal. All in all I am very happy with it, and have put a couple thousand rounds through it now with no issues at all. Feeds well, shoots well, balanced well, and looks great. Personally, the HRA one is a little too shiny for me, if going with the HRA version I would buy the iron frame one. Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:41 am

0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 am

RanchRoper wrote:I can only speak to the Uberti 1860 that I own. Absolutely gorgeous rifle and a darn nice shooter. Fit & finish is flawless. Wood is pretty good but not as exotic as the HRA ones. I believe the Uberti reddish stain may be closer to the original Henry's from way back if you look at photos of old rifles. The Uberti has a case colored hammer and lever, the HRA one does not.
I was planning to buy the HRA one but could not justify the price. Over $3k Canadian and my Uberti was $2k. The money saved bought lots of ammo.
Mine was imported by Cimarron and carries authentic markings, with the Italian markings carefully hidden so as not to affect the historic appeal. All in all I am very happy with it, and have put a couple thousand rounds through it now with no issues at all. Feeds well, shoots well, balanced well, and looks great. Personally, the HRA one is a little too shiny for me, if going with the HRA version I would buy the iron frame one. Hope that helps.
Thanks for participating and yes your thoughts do help. Nice looking rifle. I have read that a number of people are very happy with their Uberti's and from my understanding due to a number of reasons these are the ones to get if you are into Cowboy action shooting as well and mainly because they have been out there longer and more parts are availible.

Personally I think I'm more attracted to a gun with the better looking wood however. I would also like to find out a bit more about the other details with regard to quality parts and or craftmanship and any other potential concerns I may or may not be aware of.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:27 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Maybe watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faEW--5QDpg

Great video, pretty much what I was looking for. Thank you sir.

I think I need to revisit the Winchester Miroku now as well.
0 x