Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sudden lack of squirrels

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Sudden lack of squirrels

Post by FormerParatrooper » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:57 pm

My backyard has been a squirrel haven for years. This spring I counted 15 different squirrels between my house and the neighbors. About the middle of October they all seem to have left. I don't remember a time in at least 25 years that there was not a population. And it is not just my yard, but everywhere in the area. One neighbors walnut tree had a bumper year, and no squirrels getting them. Even the couple of rabbits that have lived under another's neighbors deck seem to disappeared as well.

The raccoons are still around, and there are at least two bobcats around, but haven't caught them on my home cameras. I have seen their scat and tracks about 2 miles away by the pond I fish occasionally.  

Just seems odd that they all just up and left. Anyone noticing missing critters?
0 x
I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace - Thomas Paine

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Sudden lack of squirrels

Post by Mags » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:49 pm

Ours disappeared once the filbert nuts came out. The nuts have since been harvested and we are now seeing some squirrels return.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:26 am

There are accounts of mass squirrel migrations. I have no idea if it happens but i know of one year maybe 30 years ago around here when for a time in the fall we saw literally hundreds of killed squirrels on the highways around here where they had been trying to cross the highways.. its certainly common to see a ran over squirrel or two every day or two if you go two or three miles down the highway... but hundreds was a very odd thing to see... never happened before or since.
Still plenty of squirrels here today.... mysterys happen if you observe is about all im sure of
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:01 am

I will happily give you all of mine. Come and get them.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:19 am

The road to indecision is paved with flat squirrels. :lol:

We have an abundance of the little acorn eaters including a pure white one. :o

Is that sacred like a white buffalo?

The acorn crop this year is enormous.
2 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:55 am

Seems like the tree squirrels around here disappear in the winter. I just assumed they go into hibernation like the ground squirrels do. No nut trees around but it seems like the population has been increasing the last couple of years. They love to eat pinecones but they sure leave a mess behind.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:54 pm

I used to have a fair amount of groundhogs around my place every year. At that time I didn't plant a garden, just a couple of tomato plants that they didn't bother. They mostly just ate my dandelions which was fine, had one that insisted on burrowing into the pump house but some medium sized rocks around the perimeter stopped that. One year they never showed up in the Spring as usual and it's been well over 5 years since I've seen one.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:15 pm

When I lived out East I used to hunt groundhogs with a good friend. The Shenandoah Valley was overrun with them.
A dairy farmer once invited us to clean them out of a 100 acre pasture for him and I remarked that he had overgrazed
the pasture as the grass was eaten down to the roots. He said that he had not pastured his cattle at all in that pasture
that groundhogs had eaten the grass. They were like rats. Holes under ever rock and boulder. We shot hundreds and
hundreds of them that Summer.

I called that good shootin. I was using a Ruger M77 round top with a varmint barrel in .220 Swift with a 12 power Luepold.
We hand loaded all our ammo and bought powder in the small kegs. I was loading a 54 grain boat tailed hollow point from Sierra and loaded the velocity down to about 3800 FPS. That way you didn't burn the barrel out as the full load would do. We had both tuned our
loads for accuracy.

We didn't miss much. Those were good days. :D
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:29 pm

Plenty of squirrels around my place. Between the squirrels and cats running around ol' Buster stays busy! :lol:
0 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:56 pm

Plenty still around here too. One or two keep going up on my metal roof, will wake me up early in the morning. I've chased them off dozens of times. Finally got my Henry 22 loaded by the door and shot off a couple near them for them to get the message. They are supposed to be somewhat intelligent. Time will tell if they get the message.
0 x
NRA Member