Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Suggest a rifle for markiver54

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Suggest a rifle for markiver54

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:34 am

Good for you, Mark. Glad you found some pellets.

FYI, the open rear sight/globe front sight setup that is standard on HW springers is excellent, about as good as it gets in open sights. The rear sight allows you to change blade notch width and is click adjustable.

Almost all airguns sold today have an 11mm rail for scope mounting. This incudes all HW rifles. You'll have no problem finding very affordable 11mm scope rings, if and when you want to go with a scope.

The only requirement for an airgun scope for something like the HW30 is that it has a AO for parallax adjustment, since you will be shooting at short ranges. Be gad to help when you are ready.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:59 am

Thanks to everyone! I've pretty much decided that when I can afford/justify the purchase that it will be the HW30.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:20 pm

Very nice Mark. I hope to hear all about it when it arrives down the road.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:06 pm

Although not in a hurry to purchase right now, I have decided that most of my shooting would be small game/pest control. I'm thinking .22 cal. might be best for this...? Been doing some casual looking at the break barrels for under $300.00. I'm hoping to get an opinion or two on the Gamo brand. Looking online at the Swarm Fusion 10X Gen 3. $268.00 right now on Amazon. No open sights though, which probably would be ok because of my old eyes. I'd still like to have the option, but, It does come scoped. Probably a junk scope, but I could replace it with a better one...? Actually, I'd prefer using a scope if it will stay true.
I have not ruled out previously mentioned brands/models, but still just looking.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 pm

Just my opinion but Gamo is China crap. Get the Weihrauch its a much better rifle.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:22 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 pm
Just my opinion but Gamo is China crap. Get the Weihrauch its a much better rifle.
FWIW...Gamo is made in Barcelona, Spain. They are the largest manufacturer of air guns in Europe and have been in business for 60 years. Don't know how good that is, but at least it ain't China.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:07 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:22 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 pm
FWIW...Gamo is made in Barcelona, Spain. They are the largest manufacturer of air guns in Europe and have been in business for 60 years. Don't know how good that is, but at least it ain't China.
Ok I will retract the China made comment as I was looking at one a while back in PCP that was made in China by another company. But I still think you would get a better gun with the German made Weihrauch
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:04 am

I hear Ya Al. I'm not doubting that the Weirauch brand may be a better one. Just looking at as many possibilities as I can. Again; for me, every penny counts, especially considering that a less expensive rifle might serve me just as well for my expected use.
I have a whole list of wants/needs that I have to take into consideration and keep my priorities in the correct order. 😔
Maybe I need to go back to work......🤔...No, I don't think so.🙂
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:35 am

Mark, just to let you know, the learning curve to shoot a piston gun is the same for spring and gas (nitro) piston guns, and the more powerful the piston gun, the greater the recoil and thus the greater the challenge. Do not take the hype about gas piston guns being easier to shoot than spring piston guns seriously. As far as learning to shoot a piston gun, it's a matter of recoil, regardless of whether it's produced by a spring or gas piston setup. Power makes for great advertising, but in a piston gun, power comes with recoil and recoil is not your friend when trying to learn to shoot a piston gun with consistent accuracy. Once you've learned how to shoot a piston gun, the recoil is much less important, but it can be a formidable hurdle when trying to learn.

Not saying the Game is a bad choice for your needs if you already know how to shoot a piston gun, but this is why I do not recommend a "magnum" class piston gun, spring or gas, as a gun to learn on. It can be very frustrating. A friend of mine just recently made that mistake. She bought a Gamo Fusion 10x advertised at 1300 fps and was so angry and frustrated after trying to sight in the scope and not being able to shoot consistently enough to do it, that she gave me the gun and told me to throw it in the trash. I still have it and have stored it in a shed until I decided what to do with it. I certainly have no use for it.

Another consideration with a piston gun is the trigger. From experience teaching beginners how to shoot a piston gun, a huge plus in learning to shoot a piston gun is a great trigger. This where Gamo and other such brands come up way short to the out of the box trigger on a Weihrauch, top of the line Diana or FWB or Air Arms springers. The trigger, alone, is well worth the extra cost on a Weihruach.
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:43 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:04 am
Maybe I need to go back to work......🤔...No, I don't think so.🙂
:shock: What the He!! kinda statement is that, Mark???? :mrgreen: You're scarin' me, man...... :o :lol:

You gotta have time to shoot, ya know?? ;)
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO