Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Mid winter check-up

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:33 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:01 am
Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:44 am
Hope all is well when you arrive. Have the same concerns the first time we go up to our Northport WA place. No water up there but I always worry about snow damage. Enjoy the trip.
Thanks Hatch. We'll be leaving in about a half hour. It's only about a 1+1/2 to 2 hr. drive. I hear you about the snow damage. A lot falls up there. 2 years ago we had a gutter torn off. When we replaced the roof 3 years ago with metal, they didn't install any snow breaks, ( or whatever you call them ). The heavy snow slid down and tore the gutter off. :( . Still trying to get someone up there to do repairs and install the snow breaks. Trying to get contractors to go up there is not easy, to say the least. 🤞
The potential of a bear encounter would not be uncommon either. Hopefully they're all sleeping. Just not in the living room. :lol:
Sure hope you don’t fine a Goldilocks scenario when you arrive.

This is the building I worry about. It’s starting to list slightly to the right. Thankfully it has a metal roof that faces the rising sun and is pretty steep and sheds snow pretty well. There’s also a metal building with a low pitch roof but it sheds the snow pretty well. Both buildings were home built by my wife’s uncle and neither I’m sure were built to any kind of code nor had any kind of inspection when completed. He lived there from the late 80’s until he passed in 2007 so these buildings have stood for 30 years.

DC0B6AA6-C2F9-4268-BA63-C55CA4059A0E.jpeg
DC0B6AA6-C2F9-4268-BA63-C55CA4059A0E.jpeg (5.04 MiB) Viewed 1401 times
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Well, we just got back..already. we didn't stay but about a half hour. No sleeping bears, :D however, one had pushed on the side of the screen porch where the hot tub lives. There was about a 12" size hole which I know was a bear because to the left of the larger hole, about two feet over, were clearly four claw size punctures right in line.
That is the only new damage I saw, so no biggie.

On the way home I stopped at my favorite LGS, ( where I bought two of my Henry's). Boy, have they gotten their gun inventory back up to par. I also picked up this box of 410's despite the cost.
20230121_155605.jpg
20230121_155605.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 1390 times
I need to go back when she's not waiting in the car for me. :roll: they had oodles of guns. Some Henry's as well.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:25 pm

I need to go back when she's not waiting in the car for me. :roll: they had oodles of guns. Some Henry's as well.
I hear that. Whenever I go to my LGS/hardware store with my friend I say "let's go look at guns", she says "we don't have time".
She does occasionally shoot with me but once I sold her my PX4 compact for home defense and concealed carry she has no desire to look at other guns.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:13 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:25 pm

I hear that. Whenever I go to my LGS/hardware store with my friend I say "let's go look at guns", she says "we don't have time".
She does occasionally shoot with me but once I sold her my PX4 compact for home defense and concealed carry she has no desire to look at other guns.
I don't think Carol has ever even held a gun, much less shot one. She has no desire. I guess that makes me safer. :lol:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry