Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Big Boy 44 owner / Sight questions

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Big Boy 44 owner / Sight questions

Post by DeathValleyMike » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:07 pm

Hello all!
I just bought my Big Boy and after 2 days, I’m loving it more than any rifle I’ve ever bought!
I have a Marlin 336, several bolt guns from 6.5 Creedmore, and 308 to .270 WSM and .300 Win Mag.

All are scope guns.

I bought my Henry because I love hunting here in the foothills of Appalachia, in the mountains and amongst the Laurel.

All my other rifles are scoped and don’t fit my needs. I wanted a rifle that would point, aim and shoot in some of these dense thickets in these southeastern mountains without wasting seconds trying to locate game in a scope . I also wanted a 100 yard thumper, so I chose the 44Rem Mag/ special.

My range shooting after a couple of days has been with the buckhorns that came on it. I have been holding 4 inch-5 inch groups at 80 yards .
I did notice today that in the low light / gray light time it is super difficult to see the sights. I’m 53 and wear glasses too.

I’ve been looking at some sight options as I want to stay scopeless.
I looked at a set of HiViz front and rear fiber optic sights, but I’m worried about durability and reliability.
Then I looked at the Skinner peep sights. I thought about this but I keep hearing there’s a 50/50 chance they will work with the front sight that comes on a Henry. So then I thought about a Skinner rear peep and HiViz front fiber optic.

I wanted some opinions from you folks that have addressed this .

By the way, I’ve had my first Henry for two days, already attached to it! It brings back my younger memories of hunting these mountains the simpler way!
I ordered a lever 22LR about 10 minutes ago! I’m hooked!
Next up is the 22Mag then something long range.

I’m gonna give my bolt guns and aitoloaders to my kids , so when I do these Henry rifles I want to set them up with as close to the same sights possible.

Sorry for such s long post! Being new, I wanted to make sure you guys feel me as the kids say!😁

Have a wonderful and blessed day!
3 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: New Big Boy 44 owner / Sight questions

Post by Rifletom » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:45 pm

Welcome DVM! There are plenty of .44 mag shooters here to help with advice on the sights you're asking about. I had to scope my two Henry's.
You'll get help here, no doubt. Keep that 336.
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:45 pm

For 100 yard shooting, nothing beats the Skinner peep sight system. Check it out.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:09 pm

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:07 pm
... then something long range.
Long Ranger would be a good choice for that.

And Welcome from the Tualatin Valley, OR
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:43 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... your hunting terrain sounds very much like my home area in western NC .... having taken deer, boar and black bear with a 44 mag, I can assure you that your selection is a good one .... I have used a HiViz front with rear fiber optic sight .... never had an problem with them

second, be sure to follow this link to where you can add your rifle to our communities total ====> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... start=1510

third, you still have time to qualify for our drawing that is underway .... check it out in our Forum News area
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:19 pm

I like the peeps, and welcome from Dacotah
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Steve in PA
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Steve in PA » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:26 am

I bought a Henry Big Boy 44 Magnum last year and really didn’t like the buckhorn sights. I was shooting Hornady 240 XTP and even with the rear sight all the way down, I was way high at 50 yards.

So, I went with the Skinner peep sights and while the sight picture was great, true to form I had to get a different front sight.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:33 am

On my BBS Carbine, the Skinner peeps that are low profile and mount to the barrel may work with the front sight as is.
The Skinner peep that mounts on the receiver, will not. I have that one. After some trial and error and using a front sight calculator I put a tall brass front blade on and my rifle shoots to point of aim. Here's the note I made on a document back during that modification:
Rear sight replaced with Skinner express peep
shot 4" (!) high 25 yards 10" high 50 yards
Replaced front sight with brass Skinner .600" post

Your results may differ. I've read posts on here that are all over the place. ;)
Good luck!
1 x

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:34 pm

Thanks for the advice and opinions folks!
I noticed the guy who said he hunts in Western NC.

Our terrain is similar because I hunt western SC mountains and western NC mountains. We should hook up sometime!
0 x

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:37 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:45 pm
Welcome DVM! There are plenty of .44 mag shooters here to help with advice on the sights you're asking about. I had to scope my two Henry's.
You'll get help here, no doubt. Keep that 336.
That 336 will be with me till I die. My daughter took her first 2 deer with it. She has already claimed it!😁
My son likes the new Henry so that will work out great!

I’m gonna sell several bolt guns and buy more Henry rifles!
Think I’ll keep one or two in case .

Great being here guys!
1 x