Hard to find ammo

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Hard to find ammo

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 am

Cofisher wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:38 pm
Ok. So you know I built a 6.5 Grendel AR. As this is one of the lesser known rounds, the ammo makers have been dragging their feet. I have found them on the shelf only once. And they were not what I wanted.

My lgs found me a couple boxes. Cool. I have reloaded about 150 with components I scrounged up. Not the best bullet, powder or primer. I did buy good brass.

So I am sitting on less than 200 rounds. Not cool. I will buy as I can. And acquire more reloading components that are hopefully standard. I want a thousand of these puppies waiting for me.

After hearing about the Russian ammo ban, crap. Everything is going to hell again.

I will not give up. I am an American!
Going to the LGS this morning. I'll report back if they have any.
Jake
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am

Cofisher wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:40 pm
There are times when I think I should be more normal...NAH!
I hear you. For some reason I seem to have an affection to some not so mainstream calibers. In fact, several years ago one of the gun rags ran an article about five calibers that while not mainstream deserve some love. I checked and at the time I owned four of the five. :shock: :o

327 Fed Mag
10mm
41 mag
Opps, can’t remember the fourth….. EDIT figured out why I can’t remember the fourth…..I only had three of the five. :lol:

The two I didn’t have are 357 Sig and 38 Super.

It’s said that when ammo shortages begin these oddballs are the last to become not available. But the reverse it true also, when stocks begin to become available again these oddballs are the last to be found.

Here is a link to the article https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/5 ... ity/137974

Good luck on your 6.5 search.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:50 am

I found that the most premium ammo is the last to remain during shortages. That’s how I discovered 22LR Norma. It was almost twice as expensive as common ammo. But when common ammo jumped 50% it didn’t go up and was still available. So now it was only 50% more not 100%.

The same was true with 22 shorts. I was buying Norma and shorts by the case in the middle of an ammo shortage in 2008 to 2010 and then again 2012 to 2014.

I don’t think it is still that way. I don’t know as I haven’t had to buy ammo since 2014.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:30 am

Cofisher wrote:
Ok. So you know I built a 6.5 Grendel AR. As this is one of the lesser known rounds, the ammo makers have been dragging their feet. I have found them on the shelf only once. And they were not what I wanted.

I checked at the LGS that we went to yesterday and they didn't have any in that caliber. I'll check at the gun range tomorrow. I'll pick you up a couple of boxes if they have them if you want. Let me know.
Jake
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:31 am

Thanks Jake. I’m good for now Got hunting and plinking rounds.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Cofisher wrote:

My lgs found me a couple boxes. Cool. I have reloaded about 150 with components I scrounged up. Not the best bullet, powder or primer. I did buy good brass.

So I am sitting on less than 200 rounds. Not cool. I will buy as I can. And acquire more reloading components that are hopefully standard. I want a thousand of these puppies waiting for me.

After hearing about the Russian ammo ban, crap. Everything is going to hell again.

Stopped by my LGS today and they had 4 boxes (50 ea) of American Eagle ($70 ea) and two or three boxes of Barnes ($38) and Federal ($38) in 6.5 Grendel. I don't know if they'd ship or not:
CARTER’S COUNTRY SOUTHWEST
11886 WILCREST DRIVE HOUSTON, TX 77031
281-879-1466

Jake
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Thanks Jake. My local guy just set aside a couple boxes for me. It’s trickling in.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.