Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My CAS guns

All the other great Henry Repeating arms products
Pete
Tenderfoot

My CAS guns

Post by Pete » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:19 pm

just got done reading "Henry's in the Movies". in the Lounge Area and thot I'd post a picture of my Henry that I used back in the day I was into CAS shooting.

Pete
Henry&Colt.jpg
5 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: My CAS guns

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello Pete, looks like a Ruger Vaquero also.
Nice set.
Welcome aboard.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:10 pm

I've never done any cowboy action shooting and know very little about the finer points .... its my understanding that the firearms used are usually modified to give them quicker actions .... just curious, what, if any, mods did you make to your Henry
0 x

Pete
Tenderfoot

Post by Pete » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Vaquero,

Nope. Genuine Colt 3rd gen. 44/40.

JEBar,

I belonged to the other CAS outfit. NCOWS. Their more interested in the authenticity angle. This was back in the '90's . Not sure what their up to these days. Back then I was interested more in their Buffalo Match which I shot with a CSA 50/90SS.

Nothing was done to either gun. The rifle is a Uberti in 44/40 too and imported into the country by Dixie Gun Works. Not sure when the Henry Co. started making their rifles but I' d never heard of them when I bought mine. Guessing maybe the mid 70's.

Interesting side note. Many think the 44/40 is an anemic round. But I found that in the above rifle it would easily knock the 200 meter pistol shilouette rams down.

Pete
3 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences, this info, and your photos. Very cool guns.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Pete wrote:Vaquero,

Nope. Genuine Colt 3rd gen. 44/40.

JEBar,

I belonged to the other CAS outfit. NCOWS. Their more interested in the authenticity angle. This was back in the '90's . Not sure what their up to these days. Back then I was interested more in their Buffalo Match which I shot with a CSA 50/90SS.

Nothing was done to either gun. The rifle is a Uberti in 44/40 too and imported into the country by Dixie Gun Works. Not sure when the Henry Co. started making their rifles but I' d never heard of them when I bought mine. Guessing maybe the mid 70's.

Interesting side note. Many think the 44/40 is an anemic round. But I found that in the above rifle it would easily knock the 200 meter pistol shilouette rams down.

Pete

response appreciated ..
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Very cool guns. Interesting to hear that about the 44.40, as you are right lots of people say it's not a very powerful round. Thanks for the info.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Pete
Tenderfoot

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words.

On another note. Not sure when the next range report will be. We got the cable problem fixed. Needed one for the Android phone/tablet. Came with one for the other type of phone. But that didn't cure the problem so they're gonna send me a new unit. Thot it would be here by now. No such luck. Need it as I'll be working with a powder not listed in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and going higher than anything I can find on the net. So......

Pete
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:37 am

I missed this one till now. Great looking guns and a very nice blanket.

I hope you aren't dealing with Time Warner cable. They are my thorn in the side. They are being taken over by another group and I hope the service doesn't get worse. It is at rock bottom now.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Pete
Tenderfoot

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Retired CB,

The blanket is a saddle blanket that I used to sit on when shooting the NCOWS Buffalo match. Getting kind of ragged in one corner now. And no. Don't ride horses. Never been on one! :)

My mistake. Probably wasn't clear. Your misunderstanding my meaning of cable. It's a wire/cable that attaches from the chronograph to your cell phone. Amazing how much data you can pull together with the software setup. The chrono is a Caldwell "Ballistic Precision" setup. They've been more than cooperative in trying to get my problem solved. I was just thinking it should be here by now. New cable took three days and it's been a week now for the chrono. Probably coming from the manf....... China?!

Pete
1 x