Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Plinking along with daytime dave

Did you just do some plinking today? Tell us about it.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Plinking along with daytime dave

Post by daytime dave » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:45 pm

It has been unseasonably warm for the last few days. I was able to get out today in 55 F weather just ahead of the stormfront moving in and bringing rain and more seasonable cool weather. I decided a couple of neglected .22s would be in order today. The Chiappa .22lr M1 Carbine copy and my Smith and Wesson model 41 were the guns for today's plinking. I have a pretty good spot in the back pasture that is 25 yds and really accessible. I pound in a 2x2 short post and staple paper plates with hand drawn 2 inch squares on either side of the post. Up to three on each side.
For today, I uncovered and loaded up the mud buggy for the short but muddy trek. I photographed the guns and set up. All shooting was two hand, free standing. The Chiappa has two magazines and I loaded each with 5 rds. It got the Blazer ammo and performed as it did when I shot it last. Not great, but ok for plinking. All ten were low and a quick sight adjustment on the rear brought it to where it needed to go. No photos of it's so so performance. It's a fun gun that reminds me of my Inland M1 Carbine that I gave to a friend. My bayonet does not fit on the Chiappa either.
The model 41 was a used gun when I bought it. It belonged to an owner of a gun shop I frequented in another life. He slowly emptied his safe when getting ready to close and I got some amazing guns. This one is no exception. I ordered the holster and an extra mag from S&W when I got it. Three mags is what I like to have. I shot this with a two hand grip, free standing. I only shot 30 rds when I bought it. It was time to get it ot in the light. Today it only got 30 rds also, due to impending weather. It has been a while since I have shot a gun like this and I threw the first round low as I totally forgot the trigger is light with no take up. I shot five rounds per mag at 25, 15 and 10 yds. I improved with my second time, getting the grip and sight picture better than the first time. I used the CCI standard 40 grn rounds. The first round was a ftf at 25 yds. I placed it second in the mag to see if it would go off, but all it did was break the concentration I had. First round was in the box, ftf, then under the box. Oh well, I was hearing thunder. Just after collecting the targets is began to rain. I covered up the mud buggy in pouring rain and came in to clean both guns. I was very satisfied with both. The carbine is fun. The 41 has some good potential if I take it out more often I think. It was nice to get out for even a few rounds (45 total). I'm drying off with a coffee with a trace of amaretto in it.

6 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Plinking along with daytime dave

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:18 pm

I need to shoot the 41 I got for my birthday last year... I shot it once right after I got it but haven't shot anything much since. I am about to start. 8-)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:52 pm

Dave, that is some fine, fine shooting. Love what you're doing with the Model 41. In my opinion, the 41 is the ultimate classic semi-auto 22, the older ones most of all. For sure, a vintage 41 will never lose value. I don't know if S&W has ever confirmed this, but the Smith crowd has always claimed the 41 was built specifically to shoot CCI SV. That's what I shot in my newer one when I had it.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:45 pm

Fresh air and burnt gunpowder…… I miss that fragrance.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:54 pm

They both look like fun shooters.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:03 pm

Some fun shooting there Dave! Paper plates getting to be my favorite paper targets now. That .22 M-1 Carbine looks like the real deal!
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:53 am

Other than the weather what a fun day you had. Two unique firearms side by side! Thumbs up here.
1 x