Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester 67 Super Targetspot plinker

Did you just do some plinking today? Tell us about it.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Winchester 67 Super Targetspot plinker

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:47 pm

In some ways, that old workhorse of a single shot 22 LR rifle, the Winchester Model 67, may just be the ultimate backyard friendly plinker, thanks to its super long 27" barrel. With that 27" barrel, fire a CB Short and you'd have to be right behind the shooter to hear it. A CCI Quiet isn't much louder. Most of my airguns are louder. It takes a PCP fitted with a silencer to be as quiet.

I had a great time plinking with my 67 this afternoon, once I got the scope adjusted. Scope? You won't see many Model 67 Winchesters with a scope, especially not this one

Some years back, I bought this 67 at a bargain price because the barrel had been cut for a vintage scope mount, unlike anything I had seen. It still had the rear open sight, so I went ahead and bought it.

While at the range one day, the club president noticed me shooting this 67 and walked on over to chat. He recognized the way the barrel had been cut and told me that the scope mount I needed was for an old Lyman Super Targetspot 10x and he just happened to have both the scope and the mount. He sold it to me at a friend's price with the promise that if I ever sold it, it would only be back to him.

Quite a history on this one. My friend verified that this 67 had probably been used as a target rifle at our local Scout Camp for many years. That explained why when I took the rifle home and started to clean the bore, the barrel was so leaded that the lead came out in strips. Not kidding. Oh, yeah, that was a very long cleaning session. Even so, once I got this old 67 cleaned up, took it to our local club range and it would still shoot half inch groups at 50 yards with target ammo.

Today, shooting CB Shorts and CCI Quiets at 25 yards from the deck, it still managed to outshoot the Browning BL-22 and the Remington 550-1 that I was shooting, recently. Not bad for an old trooper of a 22 rifle.
4 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Winchester 67 Super Targetspot plinker

Post by Vaquero » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:52 pm

Very cool story and rifle.
I have a buddy up in WI that had one of those stolen a couple months back.
The thief was caught but the rifle wasn't recovered.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:26 pm

That's pretty sad to hear. I really hate thieves.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15 pm

Bummer about the rifle Randy. That’s quite the rifle, scope and story Joanie.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:39 pm

I saw a model 67 at the local gun store today. It’s a finger groove model with open sights. My eyes don’t do so well with open sights anymore so I passed. Price was $250.00.
I have a Remington 510P from about 1940 that shoots great. Now you got me thinking a little bit more about it.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:40 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, that's the going price for 67s these days, especially the older finger groove versions. I would love to find a Remington 510P to add to the collection, but for whatever reason, Winchesters are more common in our area.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:06 pm

That is certainly a very cool rifle and scope mount. It's interesting to probably know it's history too.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member