Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Electricity to…….going off grid

Show us life in and around your barn
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Electricity to…….going off grid

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:25 pm

I’m getting an estimate for a 120v 20 amp underground feeder line to Alice.
31C8BCD4-B7A2-4827-8045-C17FA75B81B6.jpeg
31C8BCD4-B7A2-4827-8045-C17FA75B81B6.jpeg (3.97 MiB) Viewed 967 times
And I’m getting a separate estimate for a 120v 30 amp feed up the hill for a future barn. The feeds will be 600 and 400 feet respectively and will need to be oversized to keep the voltage from dropping. I’ve shopped online for the wire and it may cost upwards of $3K. I may have to sell a kidney to be able to afford it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Electricity to the tractor port and future barn

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 am

I hear that. I wired a 30 amp RV outlet in my shop just running the wire from the breaker box to the outlet, maybe 50 ft. I can’t remember what gauge wire I had to use maybe 4 ga ? But even for that short run it was expensive. Funny side story, the trailer I had when I put the outlet in had the plug in the rear so I put the outlet on the rear wall of the shop. My motor home I have now has the plug on the side and I could have used probably only a third of the wire I did.

Good luck with your project and while it will be expensive having adequate power where you need is such an advantage.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Electricity to the tractor port and future barn

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:46 am

The 4 gauge sounds about right. That is what is in my RVport and what I’ll run down to the road and up the hill. Relatively speaking I didn’t pay much for the property mainly because it doesn’t have any out buildings. The house is small at only 1850sf and I need more room. The RV is a guest bedroom and tv room. Currently the garage is full of vehicles and trailers and it gives me no room for a shop. With the garage up the hill I can fill it with my teardrops, tractor and van and only put the Outback in the garage. That leaves two car spaces for a shop. The way it’s laid out it makes a better shop than a three car garage.

Edit: the wire to the RVport is 2-2-2-4 and so will the wire be to Alice and the garage.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Electricity to…….going off grid

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:06 pm

I only have propane heat and if I loose power I have absolutely no heat. I’m not alone and Price County Power has built a very reliable network and power outages usually only last a few hours. Still I’m tempted to have a battery backup with a solar and wind charging capabilities. Sun in the winter is scarce yet I usually have wind living on Timms Hill.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in these matters?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 am

Our basement rec room fake wood stove runs off propane, even when the power is out. I bought a couple of thermo-electric fans that generate and run off their own electricity that sit on top of the stove. Heat exchange with a dielectric material in the fan heat sink is what generates the electricity.

Sorry, can't help with the solar stuff.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:40 am

Mags wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 am
Our basement rec room fake wood stove runs off propane, even when the power is out. I bought a couple of thermo-electric fans that generate and run off their own electricity that sit on top of the stove. Heat exchange with a dielectric material in the fan heat sink is what generates the electricity.

Sorry, can't help with the solar stuff.
I bought a propane fireplace insert in Washington after loosing power for 20 days one winter. It had an electric fan that helped circulate the warm air but hasn’t needed. Then of course I never lost power after that. It was reassuring to know though.

I’ve thought of doing something like that here but there is just no place to put one.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:12 pm

Do you know how many watts your propane furnace needs, doesn't seem that it would be that high since it mostly just has to power the controls and a fan. If you're just wanting it for emergency use it would probably be quite a bit cheaper (but noisier) for a small/medium sized propane generator.

https://www.perchenergy.com/blog/energy ... hcs8qf31id
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm

dave77 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:12 pm
Do you know how many watts your propane furnace needs, doesn't seem that it would be that high since it mostly just has to power the controls and a fan. If you're just wanting it for emergency use it would probably be quite a bit cheaper (but noisier) for a small/medium sized propane generator.

I have floor radiant heat so no fan and instead a water(liquid) pump. Speaking of pumps I would also need to supply electricity to my well pump and sewer pump. Lighting would take minimal power as I have all LEDs.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:46 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm
dave77 wrote:

I have floor radiant heat so no fan and instead a water(liquid) pump. Speaking of pumps I would also need to supply electricity to my well pump and sewer pump. Lighting would take minimal power as I have all LEDs.
I’m not an authority on this at all so take what I say with a couple of pounds of salt but I’m wondering with the amount of power required to run a well pump would the battery bank on solar/wind have enough capacity to accomplish what you need? If you are having an electrician wire your shop and tractor shelter maybe have a side panel with a transfer switch installed in the home. Then even with a portable generator you could power the necessary systems in an outage. I understand you are asking about solar/wind generation so my reply probably doesn’t help you much.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:27 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:46 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm
dave77 wrote:

I’m not an authority on this at all so take what I say with a couple of pounds of salt but I’m wondering with the amount of power required to run a well pump would the battery bank on solar/wind have enough capacity to accomplish what you need? If you are having an electrician wire your shop and tractor shelter maybe have a side panel with a transfer switch installed in the home. Then even with a portable generator you could power the necessary systems in an outage. I understand you are asking about solar/wind generation so my reply probably doesn’t help you much.
I don’t know what I want so any help is help. Basically what I’m looking at is $60 to $100K in batteries, turbans and solar panels to live with free power or to spend $2 to $5K and pay normal monthly power and during an outage spend $1,000 a month for propane. I’m betting I would only need generator power for 24 to 48 hours at a time or maybe never.

The locals tell me not to worry about loosing power yet I still remember the Inaugural Day Storm in Seattle where I was without power for 20 days.
0 x