Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Calf

Tell us about what you are raising.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

New Calf

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:50 pm

Tina's milk cow Molly was due tomorrow, the 25th. Yesterday, she looked about to explode, and had been dribbling for a day or so... Her bag had gotten so big she was having trouble walking around it. ;) It wouldn't be long now.

due any day now.jpg
due any day now.jpg (626.71 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Tina had put fresh straw in the stall, and the dang Guineas had been having a field day scratching through it, Scratch, Scratch, Scatter, Scatter... Tina would rake it all back in place for Molly and the new calf due any day. That herd of Guineas would rush back in behind her and get back to work. Scratch, Scratch, Scatter, Scatter.. I found it funny. :roll: Miss Tina didn't see the humor. Tina got up several times last night before we went to bed and walked down to check on Molly. Nope. :? I heard the motion alarm outside the back door about 130 AM and knew. Yup, Miss Tina went down and checked on Miss Molly to make sure she was okay. Up again at 6 and out the door to check on Molly. It rained all night and into the morning, still raining. Molly was safe and dry in the stall and was having contractions all night, so Tina was sure this was the day.

:o At about 930am she came in to call the vet, the BAG had broken but NO feet were showing. (I was guessing this was a problem.) The vet said he would be on the way shortly. Tina said she had Chains as well as a nylon pull rope. (Hey, it's not snowing, but whatever.) She started grabbing gloves, lube, betadine, and a huge bucket of hot water and headed out the door to the barn. "Anything I can do?"
"Watch for the vet," she called over her shoulder.
I wasn't offended, I'm guns, knives, woodworking... she's livestock and sewing. I'm happy to stay in my lane. 8-)

Half hour later she's back in the door. "Bull."

She said she watched and waited and saw a hint of a toe, and gloved up and felt around. The head was out of position. She corrected that, and found the other foot. She pulled, applying steady pressure. Molly pushed... and Calf on the ground. "Bull" 1000 (ish)

Big Farmers don't get excited about calving, the cows do it by themselves. This is Tina's Milker and she takes good care of all her livestock....

Daddy was a huge Black Angus Bull, the baby looks like daddy....

born about 10 am 231024.jpg
born about 10 am 231024.jpg (542.92 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

The calf was up and walking within the hour, and wandered out of the stall to the water trough. Mom followed, still licking and cleaning. He stuck his head over the edge of the trough, like he was going to get a drink, but Molly turned him around and herded him back into the warmth of the stall out of the rain.

Tried to steal some water.jpg
Tried to steal some water.jpg (584.75 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Once inside, he finally got breakfast, and MOM continued cleaning, for hours.... it's what mom's do.

breakfast and a bath.jpg
breakfast and a bath.jpg (720.95 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Who here never had mom wipe YOUR face with a spit dampened napkin? :evil:
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: New Calf

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:31 pm

What’s the calf’s name?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:54 pm

Last check she hadn't named it yet. I'll post it when she names it. I don't overstep. LOL.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:19 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:50 pm
I wasn't offended, I'm guns, knives, woodworking... she's livestock and sewing. I'm happy to stay in my lane. 8-)
congrats and I'd be right there in your lane .. :D
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:18 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:50 pm
She said she watched and waited and saw a hint of a toe, and gloved up and felt around. The head was out of position. She corrected that, and found the other foot. She pulled, applying steady pressure. Molly pushed... and Calf on the ground.
These are beautiful photographs and it's a wonderful description of events, Marine (always enjoy your writing). What a wholesome environment and lifestyle you several creatures enjoy together as evidenced by this latest post (and by so many others before). Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:36 pm

Okay Folks, It's Official. Molly's Last Calf was (Ham)Burger. We raised him for about 18 months and he sold at auction for a good price when he began to get aggressive, we didn't have any room in the freezer. This little fella has a name. He is "T-Bone." We'll call him "Tee" So we have T-Bone, Molly, Donkey and "Stormy".
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:19 pm

We once raised a bottle lamb for a farmer down the road in VA. Tina named him Gyro. :twisted: The kids all loved the little fella, and they knew up front that he had to go back to the farmer when he got bigger. We had him six or eight months, then Miss T dropped him back off to her friend. (Who sold him when the time came to thin the herd and start over.) Until then every time we drove by all four kids would wave and yell, "Hey Gyro" and swear they saw him turn to look, in a field of 200+ sheep.

Years later, the middle daughter, was in the Air Force at the time, Stationed in Louisiana. She called her mom. "Gyro? Really Mom? Not freakin funny."
Click.... I guess she finally went to a Greek restaurant with friends from the base. ;)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:24 pm

Hey, next one... we can name "Stewie."
(Beef Stew.)
:(
:?
BA Dum Bump.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:21 am

Welcome to the world Tee. Hope you get to grace somebody’s dinner table one day.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:21 pm

Congrats on the calf. I hope that he tastes as good as he looks if he is destined for the freezer. Tee will enjoy life on your farm for sure.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member