Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Revolver

A place to discuss Henry's entry into revolvers
Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Big Boy Revolver

Post by Travlin » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:50 am

Speaking of old police revolvers, New York State Troopers carried Colt New Service revolvers in .45 Colt in the forties.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:06 am

I see that HRA is about to bring out the revolver in an eight shot .22LR.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 am

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:37 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:28 pm
I was born a 100 years to late. Just give me the old west a 45 in a single action a good horse and let me live in the old west times.
I've said the very same thing, over and over in the last many decades, lol.

Life was a whole lot simpler back then.
LOL. Simpler for sure, and deadly, uncomfortable, dirty, violent and disgusting. Unless you lived in a big city and had lots of cash. Then you could have servants to take care of the nastiest stuff.

https://www.historydefined.net/life-in-wild-west/

Read the Time Life “The Old West” books. Complete 27 volume sets are easy to find used, I see them pop up on Craigslist every few months. I paid $45 for mine, without the index… only a couple of volumes appear to have been previously opened...

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:15 am

John E Davies wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 am
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:
I was born a 100 years to late. Just give me the old west a 45 in a single action a good horse and let me live in the old west times.

LOL. Simpler for sure, and deadly, uncomfortable, dirty, violent and disgusting. Unless you lived in a big city and had lots of cash. Then you could have servants to take care of the nastiest stuff.

Read the Time Life “The Old West” books. Complete 27 volume sets are easy to find used, I see them pop up on Craigslist every few months. I paid $45 for mine, without the index… only a couple of volumes appear to have been previously opened...

John Davies
Spokane WA
Whats the difference it was dirtier and violent in a different way. Enter the occupation called Lawyers and you have the same dirt
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:01 pm

Travlin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:06 am
I see that HRA is about to bring out the revolver in an eight shot .22LR.
Please share where you saw this announced. I'm interested, I searched but couldn't find any information on it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:41 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
BigAl, you made me wonder. It's an interesting fantasy to consider living in an earlier time; a life before living changed as the result of innovation and technology; for us, largely after electricity was harnessed (unless you're a native American -- it totally went to hell for you when the Europeans arrived).

But, I think in the old west of 1880, instead of a 45, you would very likely have had a Winchester 1873 rifle and a Colt Frontier .44-40 six shooter or two, just as a practical matter; same ammo for both. I would.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army wrote:The Colt Frontier or Frontier Six-Shooter was a Colt's 1873 "Model P" type revolver manufactured in .44-40 Winchester caliber instead of .45 Colt (in which configuration it was called the Single Action Army) so that it was compatible with Winchester Model 1873 ammunition. Production began in 1877.
Unfortunately, as an adult on horseback with a rifle and six-shooter, we'd have had to make every minute count because we'd only have a couple of decades left to live -- at best.

Life expectancy in the USA in 1880 was all of 39 yrs. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/104 ... -all-time/)

Why did people die so young?
https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/death-on-trails.htm wrote:The route of the Oregon/California/Mormon Pioneer Trails has been called "the nation's longest graveyard." Nearly one in ten emigrants who set off on the trail did not survive. The following is a list of the main causes of death along the trail from 1841 until 1869:
-Disease
-Gunshot wounds
-Accidents
-River crossings and drowning
-Weather
It's fun to imagine. It would have been a wholly different life experience than living in the 21st century is. Maybe better. Maybe not. We'll never know.

I'm guessing I'd have been a candidate for death by a disease that the Doctors then couldn't even imagine. I'm actually happy to live in a time when they can and do. I'm 73; way past the expiration date of 1880. I have a twenty-two year old stent in my RCA, two lens replacements, dental implants, and an artificial hip. I also have a comfortable home, plenty to eat, and good friends. Life is better for me than it has been for most others that have lived over the years. So far.

But, like you, sometimes it's just so easy for me to pretend I'm a cowboy who sleeps under the stars.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:20 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 am
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:

John Davies
Spokane WA
The guy that wrote that sure dwells on the negative, lol. I "agreed" to Old West, but I would really prefer to live in a town similar to Little House on the Prairie. Yeah, life expectancy was shorter back then, but you wouldn't had known it. It's just like today. People may start living to (if the world makes it) to 150 someday. But we don't know that now and who worries about it? Knowing I couldn't go back in time, Iol, I did the next best thing. I moved to deep in the country in a very conservative county in a pretty conservative state. Although you can't avoid everything, I've enjoyed decades of freedoms (guns included). I just missed the country doctor too. Just like the old days, he would make house visits and he charged very little. I will say one more thing. Life in the 50's and '60's was very different from now and I at least got to experience that, and anyone else about my age who can reflect back on those good 'ol days.
1 x
NRA Member

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 pm

I Was reading some reviews of the Big Boy revolver and found mention that the instruction booklet mentioned the rimfire calibers were coming soon. As an aside I was watching Gun Blast review of the Charter Arms Professional 3 inch .357. It is a stainless revolver with the black nitride finish with recessed chambers , an enclosed ejector rod , a clockwise rotating cylinder , a fiber optic front site and a MSRP of just over $400 . I like HRA but if I wanted another .357 revolver , I would take a very close look at the Charter Arms model .
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:53 am

Travlin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 pm
I Was reading some reviews of the Big Boy revolver and found mention that the instruction booklet mentioned the rimfire calibers were coming soon. ...
Thanks! Found the instruction booklet. It shows a couple of H016s. One as 22LR and the other 22WMR.
https://www.henryusa.com/wp-content/upl ... olvers.pdf
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:39 am

I'd be interested to know just how sales of the Henry revolver are going for Henry. If sales are not up to expectations. you may be waiting awhile to see the Henry in a 22 LR.

Once again, I have to say that I'm a little shocked at all the negativity towards the Henry on the net and just talking to some locals up here. It's been a long time since I've seen a newly introduced gun get such a put down and me, I just don't see it. Yeah, I would have rather seen a single action and, yeah, that pre-WWII DA revolver style isn't the most aesthetically pleasing by today's standards, but then I see some people go nuts and pay huge dollars for old Colt DA revolvers that look very, very similar. Just shows how fickle the gun market is.
1 x