Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Revolvers from Henry!?

A place to discuss Henry's entry into revolvers
Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Revolvers from Henry!?

Post by Travlin » Sat May 06, 2023 7:22 pm

I just found out that Charter also has a 9mm double action swing out cylinder stainless revolver with a six inch barrel and an adjustable rear site. The MSRP is a little over $500.And no it doesn't need moon clips. So that is most likely why HRA did not do a nine. I think that Charter Arms has patented their method of extracting rimless cartridges without using the moon clips.
2 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 08, 2023 7:42 pm

I just got my summer edition of Guns Of The Old West magazine. There is a section showing new western style guns . Included are three new single action nine mm revolvers. So if we include the dual cylinder Ruger and the two or three double actions from Chartewr Arms, I would say that the market for nines as for as revolvers is close to saturation. So HRA. was wise to go with the .357.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 08, 2023 8:20 pm

Travlin wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:42 pm
I just got my summer edition of Guns Of The Old West magazine. There is a section showing new western style guns . Included are three new single action nine mm revolvers. So if we include the dual cylinder Ruger and the two or three double actions from Chartewr Arms, I would say that the market for nines as for as revolvers is close to saturation. So HRA. was wise to go with the .357.
It IS, a classic revolver round, so I agree.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 08, 2023 10:27 pm

My bad and I guess that I can't count. There are FOUR nine mm revolvers including a Remington 1875 replica that I missed.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:58 am

These revolvers bear a striking resemblance to the old Harrington and Richardson revolvers. The appearance is decidedly functional, and in contrast to a lot of the big names of today. I kind of like the looks, but functional looking doesn't necessarily mean functional.
I wonder if they have a short hammer throw like the smiths, or a long one like the Colts?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:29 am

Single action 357/9mm convertible revolvers have been around for a long time, at least back to the 70s with Ruger Blackhawks. Uberti and Pietta now make 357/9 mm Colt 1873 convertibles, too. Was looking at a nice Colt Pietta 357 with an extra 9mm cylinder just yesterday, in fact. Very nice gun.

The only issue with shooting 9mm in 357 single actions is the accuracy of the 9mm bullets in the larger 357 bore size, but accuracy is plenty good enough for casual use. A big plus for 9mm, of course, is that it's available everywhere and is easily the cheapest centerfire ammo you can buy.

Still hoping one of our local shops brings in the new Henry revolver so that I can see one. I did buy a new lightweight 38 DA revolver for carry yesterday, but that's another story.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:11 pm

rickhem wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:58 am
These revolvers bear a striking resemblance to the old Harrington and Richardson revolvers. The appearance is decidedly functional, and in contrast to a lot of the big names of today. I kind of like the looks, but functional looking doesn't necessarily mean functional.
I wonder if they have a short hammer throw like the smiths, or a long one like the Colts?
I noticed a long trigger pull on my Colt, when I was at the range, a few weeks ago. Did not notice it at the LGS. All that I noticed at the LGS was a smooth trigger. But, I will probably not notice either, if it is put to work. So, it is all good. It seems to handle .357s well though. Therefore, I am a happy camper :).
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:14 am

GFK wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:11 pm
rickhem wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:58 am
I noticed a long trigger pull on my Colt, when I was at the range, a few weeks ago. Did not notice it at the LGS. All that I noticed at the LGS was a smooth trigger. But, I will probably not notice either, if it is put to work. So, it is all good. It seems to handle .357s well though. Therefore, I am a happy camper :).
Having shot in a league for years that required use of a .38 revolver, no longer than 6" barrel, and iron sights, we got to see a lot of different makes and models on the line. The king was the old S&W M14, but more than a few Pythons were used too. I had (have) a Colt Officer's Model Special, and that served me well, still does. But for the standard timed and rapid fire stages, the top guys all shot single action, and the Smith revolvers have a much shorter distance to thumb cock the hammer than the Colts. Add to that the big fat beavertail hammers on those target revolvers, and it's even easier to thumb cock. Now I will also add that the Smith guys would loosen the screw on the main spring (front of the grip) to lighten the trigger pull, and that would occasionally give them light hits on their primers, which never happened on the Colts, but using Federal primers usually cured that.

Now clearly, these Henry revolvers are not intended or designed for that kind of an application, so not really a fair comparison. But I'm curious as to whether they use a coil hammerspring like the J-frames, a leaf spring like the K and L frames, or even a V spring like the Python and other I frame Colts.

EDIT: Just looked it up, they use a coil spring for the hammer. Se depending on how much the trigger return spring adds, it should be fairly simple to get a lighter double and single action pull with full functionality.
2 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:33 pm

I have to chuckle when I see a Smith with the Mainspring screw backed out from the front of the grip frame. That has very little effect on the trigger pull and will only cause light strikes, as you pointed out. It's a very quick "trigger job" to go a pound or two lighter on the trigger return spring. There is a little tool on the market that turns changing a Smith trigger return spring into a 15 second job rather than the cussin and fussin that sometimes results from trying to compress the spring with a ballpoint pen. How do I know this?? :lol:

The only Henry revolver I've handled had a rather heavy spongy feeling trigger pull. I guess the Smiths have me spoiled.
3 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:05 pm

Very true however the spring tension screw back out does help the double action.
0 x