Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Revolvers from Henry!?

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:27 pm

Mike_S wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:33 am
I'm with 5shot!
I'm not. Both look like old police revolvers. NCG's picture shows what a revolver should look like. Nice curves, no sharp jutting edges or corners.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:11 pm

The market will judge. I don’t see these being especially popular unless they cut the MSRP in half. You can put polished brass parts on a pig and it will still oink.

John Davies
Spokane WA
3 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:39 pm

Okay...here's my idea of how a single action should look. Of course, they too look like police revolvers... from a long time back though! :)
Bisley.jpg
Bisley.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 651 times
The .41 mag is starting to plum which IMO makes it look even better.
4 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:33 pm

A 22LR and Mag version to come out in couple of months and they have other plans in work for other revolvers...said the little birdee!
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:10 am

I agree. I have that same hammer on my .45 Blackhawk that has an extra A.C.P. cylinder.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:16 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:51 am
GFK wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:12 pm
It's a DA/SA, right? Seems like a win, win. A person can choose the mode he/she wants to shoot. As for style, Henry seems to be creating its own, trying not to look like the rest. At a glance, one may be able to tell that it is a Henry.

Being a lever action company, a revolver seems fitting. Most lever action owners probably like revolvers as well. Some probably like a traditional look. Others probably want a modern twist. Me, I like a modern twist. It is a reason why things evolve. Because, someone may come up with a better way of doing something. Black power may not be the best all around option. Likewise, I think that most of us like running water and an indoor toilet?

Plus, that caliber may be the sweet spot?
No disrespect, here, GFK, but, no, it is not a win for single action fans. No double action revolver can be. The mode of shooting, either DA or SA, actually has very little to do with the difference between shooting a single action revolver and a double action revolver, especially given that most owners of DA revolvers these days shoot their DA revolvers mostly in SA mode, anyway.

To name just some of the differences, the difference between shooting an SA revolver and a DA revolver is in the handling, the balance, the grip position relative to the bore, the loading/unloading, the lock time and, of course, the looks. Yes, they are both revolvers, but the shooting experience between the two is quite different. To give just one example, no double action revolver ever made, even to this day, can match the balance, handling and the way the gun draws from the holster like the venerable 1873 Colt "Peacemaker", not to mention the sleek lines and looks.

As for things evolving, I agree. It's for each of us to decide just what level of evolution in gun technology and history we want to use in our shooting. If someone wants to match up a Glock with a Henry BB, that's their call. No argument from me. Each to their own, as always. As for me, I still own a couple of DA revolvers, but when it comes time to head to the range and shoot, I only grab single action revolvers, now. My days of shooting are winding down and I want to use them shooting my SA revolvers.

Picked up this beauty, yesterday, and yeah, old granny me will be shooting it. It's a mint 1982 vintage Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Oh, I've owned and shot most of the popular 44 mag double action revolvers in my time, but there's nothing quite like shooting one of these nasty old Super 44 mag single actions. :) Shot my first deer with one of these, back in the 70s.

I agree NCG. I don't own a single action revolver. Nor, I have not shot one. But, my point is more of picking the right tool for the job. My wife did not like me using the minivan to haul plywood. So, I got a pickup truck. Then, she did not like the pickup truck, because it was not enough room to haul the whole family. Yet, I thought that was the point of the minivan?

I suspect that Henry is trying to appeal to as many people as possible. Is the market bigger for SA or DA shooters? I have no idea. But, my guess is there are more DA shooters than SA? And, I am more of a DA shooter. I typically don't buy a firearm for target practice, mainly for self-defense or hunting. With self-defense, SA is not my first choice. As for hunting, it works. Yet, I would probably buy a firearm that is as versatile as possible. But, that is just me.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:49 am

No arguments from me, GFK. The market is definitely bigger for double action revolvers, much bigger in fact. This is very much a matter of revolvers still being used for self-defense purposes and double actions rule for this use. While you can certainly use a single action for self-defense, it's usually reserved for defense against bears and other dangerous animals, not for people who may be shooting back at you. Of course, lever action rifles are not much used for that kind of self-defense either, but are definitely still used for self-defense in bear country, same as single action revolvers.
4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:20 pm

Saw a 3 screw SBH on GB for 1K with the red and black box in almost new condition
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:03 pm

Yes, the Old Model (three screw) Ruger single actions are appreciating in value and doing quite well, in fact. Wish I had some of them I let go over the years, but can't complain. I still have some very nice OMs. Back in the day, the Super Blackhawk was Bill Ruger's pride and joy single action, so the SBH got a nicer polish and finish job than the other Blackhawks. This continued for quite a few years into the New Model Super Blackhawks, too. The '82 vintage NM SBH I just picked up is nicely done.
0 x

SWFan27
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SWFan27 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:50 am

I WAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want the Gun Fighter grip revolver so bad I am close to drooling. But I live in California......Does anyone know when and if it will be added to the BS approved firearms roster and legal for purchase in California? The owner of my favorite local gun shop said that since it is double/single action, it could take many years. It is just a freaking revolver and not a machine gun. I find it hard to believe that it will potentially take that long. As far as I know, companies like Smith & Wesson get their new stuff approved and for sale in California pretty soon after they are released. Henry is certainly not a small potato company, and if anything, they are on verge of getting MUCH BIGGER. Will Henry be able to do anything to speed things up to sell their latest offering to California buyers?
0 x