A place to discuss Henry's entry into revolvers
ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Revolver

Post by ditchparrot » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

S&W would never make something as ugly as the henry.......Wonder how many they've sold......3? 4? maybe.
Yep, it's all about the beholder's perspective. To me, that Picatinny rail on the top of the new S&W 1854 is nothing short of hideous!

It still wouldn't stop me from buying it if I thought I had a good use for it, but the last thing I need is another lever gun.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 pm

Need has never entered my mind when buying another gun of any kind. But want sure has
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:17 am

There is good evidence that Wyatt Earp used a top break S&W at the famous gunfight. Don't think for a minute that most of the western gunmen would not have used a swing out cylinder double action revolver if they could. My grandfather got his first electric circular saw when he was almost seventy and he sure didn't let it sit at home while still using a handsaw to build houses . The written records show that "Doc" liked a nickel plated Colt.Even the Texas Rangers started using Colt 1911's as soon as there were enough made for the non military market. Maybe H.R.A. should consider making a muzzle loading rifle after all it's traditional.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:26 pm

Agree. The 1873 SAA or Peacemaker wasn't the only revolver used in the Old West, not by a long shot and hey, I love the Colt.

As for the Henry revolver, true, S&W and Colt wouldn't make that style of DA revolver these days, but they sure did in the past, so Henry's attempt to go retro on a DA revolver is pretty authentic. Where Henry may have made a mistake as far as marketing is overestimating the interest in that retro style of DA revolver. Historically, though, that style of DA revolver was carried right along with lever guns in the 1890s and early 1900s. Remember, too, that old style DA revolver nearly killed the single action market until the TV westerns became popular in the 1950s. At the start of WW II, Colt ceased production of the SAA and had no plans to resume production. They changed their minds, though, when TV westerns hit the scene in the 1950s and Bill Ruger beat them to the punch with Ruger single actions.

No, I probably won't buy a Henry revolver. If I want to go retro DA, I'll look for an early Smith or Colt DA to add to the collection. I rate the Henry's retro look to be fairly authentic, though, so if you don't like the looks of the Henry revolver, you sure wouldn't like the looks of an early Smith or Colt DA revolver. Personally, I'd like to see more reviews on how the Henry revolver shoots and performs rather than all the belly aching about its looks. Each to their own, as always, though.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:09 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:26 pm
Agree. The 1873 SAA or Peacemaker wasn't the only revolver used in the Old West, not by a long shot and hey, I love the Colt.

As for the Henry revolver, true, S&W and Colt wouldn't make that style of DA revolver these days, but they sure did in the past, so Henry's attempt to go retro on a DA revolver is pretty authentic. Where Henry may have made a mistake as far as marketing is overestimating the interest in that retro style of DA revolver. Historically, though, that style of DA revolver was carried right along with lever guns in the 1890s and early 1900s. Remember, too, that old style DA revolver nearly killed the single action market until the TV westerns became popular in the 1950s. At the start of WW II, Colt ceased production of the SAA and had no plans to resume production. They changed their minds, though, when TV westerns hit the scene in the 1950s and Bill Ruger beat them to the punch with Ruger single actions.

No, I probably won't buy a Henry revolver. If I want to go retro DA, I'll look for an early Smith or Colt DA to add to the collection. I rate the Henry's retro look to be fairly authentic, though, so if you don't like the looks of the Henry revolver, you sure wouldn't like the looks of an early Smith or Colt DA revolver. Personally, I'd like to see more reviews on how the Henry revolver shoots and performs rather than all the belly aching about its looks. Each to their own, as always, though.
Belly Achin and age go together NCG
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:16 pm

I hate to say it, but when I saw the first photographs of the Henry revolver last year, it was right around the first part of April. It was so ugly I thought it was an April fool's joke. A year hasn't changed much of my opinion on it's looks. I have yet to see one in person, so I can't comment on that aspect of the gun.
If it shoots nicely, has a good trigger and handles .357 magnums with a nice felt recoil, I wouldn't say no to purchasing one. Since it's a Henry product, I would certainly give it the benefit of the doubt. I want to believe it's performance is top notch.

It took me a very long time to warm up to the looks of Ruger revolvers, especially the double action ones. It's taken even longer to warm up to Charter Arms revolvers. Sooooo............ there is hope for the Henry revolver with me.

As NCG said, the early Colt and Smith and Wesson revolvers look vastly different from the current models.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:58 pm

For anyone interested, the new issue of "American Handgunner" features the Big Boy revolvers including some nice pics of them.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:31 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:58 pm
For anyone interested, the new issue of "American Handgunner" features the Big Boy revolvers including some nice pics of them.
Hey Mark, I got my copy today. Pretty good write up.
And it made the Centerfold... :o :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:54 pm

Online Article from the May/June 2024 Issue
https://americanhandgunner.com/top-slid ... 57-magnum/
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234