NO CB or SHOTSHELLS?

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: NO CB or SHOTSHELLS?

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:13 pm

PBSnooker wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:28 pm
I assume there is a chance for a cb round to get stuck in a rifle barrel?
Yes, that's called a squib load and very dangerous should you not detect one and keep shooting. People have been killed by squib loads. It's basically putting an obstruction in the barrel and a following shot with that bullet still in the barrel can raise pressures to the dangerous level, even in a 22.

As for cycling, if Henry rates a 22 rifle for being able to cycle 22 Shorts, 22 Longs and 22 LRs, I can't see any issues cycling the CB versions of those loads. A CB is basically same case and bullet, just no powder. I'm not Henry, of course, but I suspect Henry doesn't want the liability with squib loads. Just guessing, here, so might be worth a call to Henry.

As for me, having shot CBs in a variety of different rifles, I highly recommend using a rifle action when shooting CBs that makes it easy to peer down the bore when you suspect something, such as a bolt gun with an easy to remove bolt or a break barrel single shot or even one of my classic falling block single shots. A lever gun is a different story. Not easy to inspect the bore unless you have a bore light, handy.
1 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:03 am

I have never shot any quiet or sub-sonic .22 ammo in a rifle. A friend gave me a partial box of Remington .22 Subsonic long rifle ammo and wanted to see what I thought of them. He did some trapping and bought a box for dispatching trapped animals. I fired a few of them out of my Ruger single six. The stated velocity on the box was 1049 fps but sure it was less than that out of the handgun. Pretty sure I will not be purchasing any of the low noise, CB, or subsonic ammo for my use.
After reading the comments & experiences you all have had, I can understand why Henry warned against using this type ammo in their rifles.
Thanks!
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 am

Never had any issues shooting CCI Quiets or 22 CB.s out of my Henry lever or pump action. You are missing the most FUN of a rimfire when want some easy quiet plinking in your woods or range. Plinking along on a Sunday afternoon! https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxBKwRV065Md ... T4VGuH88tN
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:05 am

I have these CB Caps left over from when I lived in the suburbs. A couple of times I need to eliminate a Flicker who was pecking up my home siding. I shot these in a Ruger 77/22 bolt action rifle and never had a squib but until reading NCG’s earlier post stating the CB cap is primer only no powder I was surprised. I looked up the velocity on the CB Caps and they are 710 fps, same as the CCI Quiets that are popular these days. Maybe I shoot these up in my Ruger Wrangler.

EECA1DF9-7284-49FF-9130-70F7AFC2BB08.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:35 am

Yes, CBs and CCI Quiet are subsonic loads around 700 fps, but that's just a small sample of subsonic loads. All it takes to be subsonic is a velocity under 1100 fps, so that covers a huge range of loads, all the way from CBs at the low end up to and including most very expensive match ammo just under 1100 fps. If you want superb accuracy and fairly low report, current subsonic HP loads designed for hunting/target work are amazing. I run Eley subsonic HPs (1040fps) out of my best target rifles for 50 yard work and accuracy is right there with my best target ammo, but at a nicer price.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:15 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:13 pm
PBSnooker wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:28 pm
I assume there is a chance for a cb round to get stuck in a rifle barrel?
Yes, that's called a squib load and very dangerous should you not detect one and keep shooting. People have been killed by squib loads. It's basically putting an obstruction in the barrel and a following shot with that bullet still in the barrel can raise pressures to the dangerous level, even in a 22.

As for cycling, if Henry rates a 22 rifle for being able to cycle 22 Shorts, 22 Longs and 22 LRs, I can't see any issues cycling the CB versions of those loads. A CB is basically same case and bullet, just no powder. I'm not Henry, of course, but I suspect Henry doesn't want the liability with squib loads. Just guessing, here, so might be worth a call to Henry.

As for me, having shot CBs in a variety of different rifles, I highly recommend using a rifle action when shooting CBs that makes it easy to peer down the bore when you suspect something, such as a bolt gun with an easy to remove bolt or a break barrel single shot or even one of my classic falling block single shots. A lever gun is a different story. Not easy to inspect the bore unless you have a bore light, handy.
A few weeks ago I suspected I had a squib in my Henry and folded a white piece of paper in the chamber and aimed the paper to the cloudy sky. I could see the piece of paper looking down the barrel. Matter of fact I’ve done this quite often to see how dirty the barrel is.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:20 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 am
Never had any issues shooting CCI Quiets or 22 CB.s out of my Henry lever or pump action. You are missing the most FUN of a rimfire when want some easy quiet plinking in your woods or range. Plinking along on a Sunday afternoon! https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxBKwRV065Md ... T4VGuH88tN
I agree! I shoot a lot of SV, Quiets and even a few CB’s.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater