Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Failure to feed

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Failure to feed

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 25, 2022 11:37 pm

If you slowly stroke the lever, you can watch exactly that occur on nearly every Henry. SLOW stroking gives the round time to ride too high and miss the chamber. A sharp stroke on the lever should cure your problem. If not, then I would look for other issues.

Funny, but the same thing will occur on my semi auto handguns when new shooters who can't use the slide release, ride the slide home instead of releasing it. ;) A proper technique usually cures that too, "Slingshot Release," I call it. :P
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ranger2020
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ranger2020 » Thu May 26, 2022 3:02 pm

Gonna give it one more time. Just want to be sure that its not me screwing up. Recleaned & lubed, ready to go. Thanks for all replies.
R20
0 x

Ranger2020
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ranger2020 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:00 am

Just a follow up. Son & I went to the range this past Monday. shot 100 rounds through my Henry. Had 2 that I could feel try to hang but fed anyway. My son had 2 that didnt feed. Watching closely, I knew when it was going to happen. It was slow lever action both times, I believe that was the problem w/ the 2 hang ups I had also. Glad to know it was operator error & not a Henry problem. Thanks for all replies & happy shooting. R20
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:09 am

Yep, it’s something that most of us have learned the hard way. Still to this day I feel a bit foolish when at the range sighting in and work the lever hard and fast. I wonder sometimes if the other shooters shooting bolts and semi’s are thinking I’m channeling my inner Chuck Connors. :D
2 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:27 am

I would think also after a little break in you may not have to lever it fast. I have a 2015 Evil Roy that I bought used and really never think on how fast I lever it and never hangs up. Maybe just a little break in and all will be perfect ?
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small