Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

FTFire and now a mag tube jam

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

FTFire and now a mag tube jam

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:00 am

I plinked a bit yesterday and had several FTFires in my Henry. I did the normal re-cocking and when that didn’t work I switched Henrys thinking it was the rifle. It happened on the second Henry also so I knew it was the ammo.

I should have just discarded the once attempted failures but being the cheap guy I am I put the ammo in the second rifle and where the pin had hit the rim it caused a jam in the tube. Now I have to take the tube apart.
E8F7931B-57F6-47F9-94BC-B1EE2CBF80E0.jpeg
I’m not sure how it happened but the ammo was wet. I must have put a warm box down in the cold snow.

It’s a hard life out here on the homestead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: FTFire and now a mag tube jam

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:03 am

Super x has never been my favorite 22lr ammo. Actually, I have never had good luck with ANY of Winchester's line of 22lr ammo.
2 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:23 am

Several years ago I had a box of Super X .22 magnum that was oversized and would not even chamber in my Henry. It did feed through the ammo tube. I also tried to load them in my Taurus 992 revolver magnum cylinder but they were too big. I contacted Winchester and they requested that I send the box of ammo to them. They said they would replace it. I sent the ammo but never received a reply from them nor did they replace the ammo. Have never purchased any Winchester Super X since.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:53 am

Agree on the various issues with Super X. For instance, it's been notorious for tight chambering in 22 revolvers to the point of sometimes being unusable. I won't use it anymore, even though I have some on the shelf.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:14 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:53 am
Agree on the various issues with Super X. For instance, it's been notorious for tight chambering in 22 revolvers to the point of sometimes being unusable. I won't use it anymore, even though I have some on the shelf.
Can't beat the German made 22 ammo. After using the Lapua,SK and RWS I am glad I have a good supply of it. No Winchester or Remington used by me any more after having nothing but problems with it. The old Super-X was very good hunting ammo years ago but not dependable enough now to use it except for spinners or other plinking until it is all used up and then don't buy any more of it. I gave most of what I had here to others that had no ammo and told them it is better used in a bolt action rifle that is easier to remove a bad round if it gets stuck in the chamber.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:41 pm

I believe I would have had problems with any ammo soaked in water for a few days. Refeeding them into another tube was not a smart idea. I like SuperX for plinking and have never had problems with them before.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:14 pm

Super X .22lr has always worked in my Henry. In fact I haven't found anything it won't digest. Cheap or expensive. Now accuracy is a different story.
2 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!