Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Front sight is too tall

Brando73
Wrangler
United States of America

Front sight is too tall

Post by Brando73 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:41 pm

My henry .17 hmr varmint is cool. I put a scope on it but had to get tall rings to keep it floated from the barrel. Put some leupold rings that are high and you can co-witness with the iron sights. Problem is, (reason I jumped on scoping it) the front sight is WAY too tall. Not sure the engineering thoughts on this was but with that stock, no way to get low enough. Not going to put a fore grip ring hiviz on it. Can't find henry front sight that is lower. I'd go with a different front sight from another company if it's lower.
Anyone else have this problem with the varmint?
I don't get many responses here but I hope this one will generate at least an answer for me. It would be a shame to have the ability to co-witness with the factory irons and they be worthless as a 3rd thumb.
Help. It can't just be me
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Front sight is too tall

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 pm

I thought the same thing when handling one, prior to my SGC purchase. Just did not feel comfortable trying to get a good site picture.
I felt like I would have to rest the stock almost on the top of my shoulder to aim.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 am

Before going to a lower sight, have you checked your point of impact using that tall front sight? Going to a lower front sight height is traditionally done when a gun shoots too low and you need to raise the POI.

If you go too low on that front sight height, you may find you've raised the point of impact too much and don't have enough rear sight adjustment left to bring that point of impact down where you want it.

What type of front sight are you using? A traditional blade front sight can be filed down, little by little, to move the POI up where you want it for a setup that is shooting too low. Skinner blade front sights are perfect for this.
1 x

Brando73
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Brando73 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:48 am

Thanks. I just can't get the stock high enough to get the front sight in a usable position. The set up should allow a good shoulder purchase on the stock and not have it on you shoulder like a bazooka. You can raise or find rear sights that will adjust higher but your stuck with the height of the front. Henry knows this. My scope is high and withe the leupold, you can use the iron sights perfectly excep for the high front.
I'll look at the skinner sights.
I'm using the factory sights which are HVIZ.
0 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Go to Marblesguns maker of iron sights for over 100 years, they have many different heights of front and rear sights. I put them on my Henry, I like the fiber optic front sight, easer for these old eyes to see
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

Brando73
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Brando73 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks. I'll try Marblesguns. POI has zero to do when you have to put your eye at the same level as the top of the stock. You can adjust zero with a good rear sight but you can fix the way God made our bodies. Like to hear something from Henry on why they did this. I'm a big henry fan with another on the way. Someone had to have brought this up during the pre build. What say you Henry?
0 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Here's something to remove, install & adjust sights, Wyoming sight drifter, easy to use only $35, WORKS GREAT love mine
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 pm

I agree. Maybe I'm missing something, but this issue is exactly why I did not purchace the 17hmr.
Too bad, cause I did want it.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 pm

Brando73 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:55 pm
Thanks. I'll try Marblesguns. POI has zero to do when you have to put your eye at the same level as the top of the stock. You can adjust zero with a good rear sight but you can fix the way God made our bodies. Like to hear something from Henry on why they did this. I'm a big henry fan with another on the way. Someone had to have brought this up during the pre build. What say you Henry?
I understand. Just pointing out what can happen when changing the height of the front sight as far as possible issues. Hope you can work something out. Perhaps a call to Henry customer service might help.
0 x

Brando73
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Brando73 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I've never had this issue before but this gun has a wooden riser cheekrest that adds to the delima. It's made for a scope but I like the ability to use both sights if I can. Hope I can find a fix with marblesguns. I sent them an email.
Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the help
0 x