Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001 Leaf Sight Issue

GTWOC
Tenderfoot
United States of America

H001 Leaf Sight Issue

Post by GTWOC » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:54 am

So I bought a H001 Classic and really like the quality, stock and the smooth action. I was able to tweak the sights to correct the windage which is a little crude but it worked. Now, I'm stuck. When I use my standard sight picture (center hold) I am either 2" high or 2" low depending on what two notches I am using on the rear sight at 50 yards. I really don't want to alter my sight picture as it will be overcompensating and odd to me. I'm looking for suggestions or replacement sights to help out here because shooting the Classic is fun. I just want to get the accuracy and sight picture to be somewhere near my Ruger 10/22's which are very accurate at the same distance.

Has anyone run into this situation? I'm thinking of trying some shims under the leaf or filing the front post to help compensate for this rather than jumping into the Skinner replacement which I really don't want to do.
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: H001 Leaf Sight Issue

Post by Bake » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:25 pm

First, let me say, I'm a "Shooter" and not a "Hunter". What does your "Dope Book" say at 25 yds., 50 yds., 75 yds., and 100 yds.? At what range does your MOA equal 50%, "Hit" or "Miss"? Your "DOPE BOOK" should cover Prone, Sitting, Offhand, and Sandbag/Brench, shooting. and along with ammo brand, and "Lot Number". I would track the number of rounds between cleaning.

Before filing on the front sight. I would buy a new front sight.

I would set the rear sight to be high at 50 yds. to start with. Without changing the sight, I would Start my "DOPE BOOK" at 25 yds. 50 yds, 75yds, and maybe 100 yds
Last edited by Bake on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:43 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... do hope you will read and post often .... we have a scope on each of our Henry rifles so I can't offer any answers to your questions about adjusting your rifle's sights .... I have no doubt others will come along who can .... be sure to follow the link below to where you may add your Henry rifle(s) to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p180277
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Welcome to the forum from Michigan. Sorry I have a scope on my H001 as well.
0 x

GTWOC
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTWOC » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks to all. I sent 100 rounds through my Henry today and came up with a bit of a balancing act by loosening the front screw to allow a slight wiggle room and rode the leafs ever so slightly above the notches. This did take time, but closed the gap considerably between the differences in the 2nd and 3rd notches. I'm hoping it stays, but if not, the Marble leaf has more graduations than the Henry sight, so that may be an option. The stock leaf was disappointing especially for a brand new rifle.

It was a little disappointing and time consuming to get it to where it was when this is usually a quick process, but it is what it is. Time will tell.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:16 pm

I do not use open sights anymore. Most of my shooting is done with peep sights but if I had your problem I would purchase a new front sight.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. Is your H001 22LR? What ammo are you shooting?

I would suggest a Lyman tang or Skinner receiver sight. I know you want to keep the stock Henry barrel sight but both of these will give you finer adjustments AND a longer sight radius. If not file the front sight down.

To me solving problems like this is half the fun of shooting.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GTWOC
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTWOC » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am

Thanks for the welcome! Yes it is the H001 22LR. Right now I shot the last of my Federal (Blue Box) 22 LR ammo. I'm going to use my CCI Mini-Mags next to see if there is any difference. And Roger the longer sight radius. I have peeps on my Ruger 10 22 and they work great. I'm going to give this some time to settle in and see how it works out.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am

GTWOC wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am
Thanks for the welcome! Yes it is the H001 22LR. Right now I shot the last of my Federal (Blue Box) 22 LR ammo. I'm going to use my CCI Mini-Mags next to see if there is any difference. And Roger the longer sight radius. I have peeps on my Ruger 10 22 and they work great. I'm going to give this some time to settle in and see how it works out.
I have a Marbles Globe for a front sight on most of mine that are not scoped. I’ve heard you should spend as much on a scope or improved iron sights as you did on the firearm. I use that philosophy but also understand a firearm should be complete and be able to shoot accurate as purchased.

The Henry H001 is a rifle designed to be affordable. The Marlin 39A and Winchester 9422 are both far superior rifles but they were too expensive to make and no longer made or made in limited quantities. The Henry Classic is selling like pancakes because you don’t have to sell a kidney to buy one.

View it as buying a car or truck. Many people will replace brand new tires and even rims. I did that to my Transit Connect plus new seat covers and paneling to the inside.

Keep us posted on your progress.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater