Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stuck with scope options...

3ricj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Stuck with scope options...

Post by 3ricj » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am

Hi folks, as the title states, I'm stuck with scope options for my 1895SBL. I plan to use it as a hog gun in Florida, and the family is looking to purchase land somewhere up north in the next few years, so I figured it would come in handy. At least that's one of the excuses, since I usually tend to go bigger in caliber than what everyone recommends.

I did some research, and it seems that 45/70 owners tend to favor a scout scope, or at least something with a smaller magnification range and objective. This makes sense and works for me. I usually stick to Leupolds and Nikons, depending on the rifle, however I purchased a vortex for one of my 300 blackout rifles and I was pretty impressed. While researching, I started with Leupolds, and I narrowed it down to a VX-Freedom Scout 1.5-4x28 Riflescope (175074). Then I figured I should compare it to other brands, and I narrowed those down to a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X32 Scout Scope (CF2-31002). Its a $220 price difference, and the reviews for both are good which makes it interesting. Just makes me wonder if the extra money gets me a big difference in optics. I'm leaning more towards the Leupold, though I was wondering if its really worth the price difference.

I was planning on using Warne QD rings or the Leupold ones, although I'm open to suggestions if you can recommend something better.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 3ricj on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Stuck with scope options...

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 am

Have you hunted hogs before or will this be your first time? Also have you checked the FWC rules about it?

https://myfwc.com/hunting/wild-hog/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am

I have the Leupold 1.5x4x20 vx Freedom on my shorty 35 Rem. very nice scope.
I also have a Vortex 1x4x24 Crossfire II on my Henry 41 mag. I can't tell much difference in the two. I bought that scope after shooting a friend's 45-70 Marlin with that same scope.
I also put a 3x9x40 Vortex on a buddy's 270 last year, and he has been very satisfied.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:40 am

I use the Leupold Freedom 2-7x on some Henry’s and it’s a very clear bright scope. Unfortunately the price jumped $100 this year from $200 to $300. When I had a 45-70 Marlin I put a Luepold FX II 1-4 on it as it had the greatest eye relief I could find at the time. I believe this scope is discontinued but perhaps something in the Freedom line will offer adequate eye relief. In scout type scopes I have a Burris 2-7 Scout and I like it for it’s brightness.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:32 am

I still favor Leupolds out of tradition and, of course, Nikons are no more. Leupolds are very expensive, now, and that's an issue for for most of us. Leupold and Vortex both offer great customer service and I'm sure you'd be happy with either. Leupold does have the advantage of being assembled here in the U.S. versus mostly China for Vortex if that's an issue for you. Hands down, Leupolds have the best resale value, too.
0 x