Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bought my first Henry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Bought my first Henry

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:15 pm

james pendry wrote:....Tuesday next I'm goin, hell or high water, to the closest range which is an hour away.
Fantastic! I hope you'll post a range report and tell us all about it!!!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

james pendry
Tenderfoot

Post by james pendry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Will do CT!
0 x

james pendry
Tenderfoot

Post by james pendry » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Ok, so I got myself to the range today for my first rounds through the Henry. Not having any other firearm like it to compare, I love it. I wanted to try my old eyes (68yrs) on the iron sights and I did pretty good. After getting over the excitement of a new gun I managed, at 50 yards, 2 three shot groups of 2.5 inches. They were off center to the right about 2 inches and just high but I felt it coming in toward the end of my time at the range. It was a bit windy and was coming from my left so that made me feel like I could have adjusted for windage and got it on the bullseye. All that being said I came away thinking maybe I ought to get a scope because I need to get out to 100 yards accurate because thats my perimeter fence. The rear sight is real blurry and I feel like I am guessing with my aim. Any thoughts?
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:18 am

Glad you got the new Henry out for some exercise. Sounds like great groups at that range with open sights. I usually shoot at least three times on different days with a new gun before deciding to do anything with the sights. Especially if I am getting good groups but off center. Most often the second and third day are better than the first.
The rear sight should be really blurry, the target also blurred, your focus should be on the front post. Of course this is all after lining up all three and shifting your attention from one to the other. It takes a lot of practice and some shooters get really good with the open sights.
Peep sights work very well for me. The rear is a hole that makes it easier to center the front post in and gives me clearer vision of both the front post and the target.
At 100 yards I would definitely go with a scope. There are other folks here with more experience at 100 yards plus than I have. They can give better advice on scopes that I can.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:03 am

I put a nice Nikon on my H001. 3 -9 x Makes life a lot easier to be accurate at my age with my eyes.

There are non magnifying options as well,

Skinner sights. Never used them, but they are very popular on the Henrys.

Red dots are not as common, but daughter and I both love the one we have on my BB steel.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:15 pm

I have an inexpensive Simmons 4x32 scope on my H001 for the very reasons that you're considering one. But, you're shooting with iron sights at a farther distance and hitting it better than I do with my scope.

Thanks for the report.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

james pendry
Tenderfoot

Post by james pendry » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey folks, thanks for the replies!
@RetiredSeabee....I thought I would give it another couple of tries and what you said confirmed it. Thanks for the info on my "blur".
@ clovishound and ct_shooter.... I have looked at the skinner sights and thought that they may be my next step but I also looked at a
Simmons 3-9 Mag and it looked real good as an inexpensive scope if I need one. I was going to go with see through mounts because I guess a non IR scope is pretty much useless at night which is mostly when the coyotes come during winter.
A friend of mine suggested using some white poster paint on the rear sight. So I'll try that also.
Thanks again all!
0 x

ace73
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by ace73 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Congrats on the new Henry! At 61, I have the Simmons scope on my H001
and really like it!
0 x