Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Why my Henry is awesome

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Why my Henry is awesome

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Rimfire wrote:I now own two Henry lever action .22's, and have a bit under a 1,000 rounds through each of them. I have never taken either one apart as after I shoot them there is little fowling to clean out of the chambers, and the bores are cleaned with just a few patches.

Neither of my Henrys have ever jammed, so a light cleaning along with a small amount of lubrication is all that has been required.
I do try to shoot quality ammo and perhaps that also helps keep my Henry's from needing much cleaning.

Truly awesome rifles as you say!
I have a Henry with more than 100,000 rounds shot through it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:44 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
larry7293 wrote:Does the boresnake slide through the barrel easily, or is there any concern that it may get stuck in the barrel?
I use them on my H006M and my H001 from the breach to the muzzle.

I put a few drops of CLP or Rem Oil on the front end and another drop on the bristle of the boresnake. After dropping the weighted rope down the barrel from the breach to the muzzle with the rifle pointing down, I position the rifle at a slight angle with the butt on the bench and the ejection port facing down so the working end of the boresnake feeds up and through the barrel when I pull on the rope.

It may pull through a bit slowly and you may even need to hand guide the working end through the breech at first, but after a few times it'll pull through smoothly and without much effort. They've never gotten stuck.
Same here.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

clovishound wrote:My understanding is that boresnakes are great for a quick cleaning, but are no substitute for using solvent and a brush. My .223 bolt action got cleaned with a boresnake and CLP only for the first couple hundred rounds. I started noticing a lot of flyers when there shouldn't be. I went ahead and cleaned the bore with a brass brush and Hoppes 9. Got a lot of copper out of it. Went back to excellent accuracy after that. I clean all my guns with a brush and solvent at least every other range trip now.
I shoot leaded round nose in mine H001. No copper or lead fouling.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:25 pm

clovishound wrote:My understanding is that boresnakes are great for a quick cleaning, but are no substitute for using solvent and a brush. My .223 bolt action got cleaned with a boresnake and CLP only for the first couple hundred rounds. I started noticing a lot of flyers when there shouldn't be. I went ahead and cleaned the bore with a brass brush and Hoppes 9. Got a lot of copper out of it. Went back to excellent accuracy after that. I clean all my guns with a brush and solvent at least every other range trip now.
Centerfire rifles are a different story. I have found that if I clean my Henry .22lr with a bore snake, it's clean. If I take a brush and patches to it after the bore snake, the patches come out clean.

With centerfire rifles, the same does not hold true. If I clean with a brush and patches after a bore snake, I get lots more dirt out.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:20 pm

After my experience with the .223, I thought I would play it safe.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:47 pm

I use the bore snake mainly if something is in the bbl but not blocking it. I can run the snake through without taking the rifle apart. If the bore is blocked it won't work.
0 x

RcJr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by RcJr » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:19 am

My Henry does clean easy. My 10-22 is over 50 years old and has never been taken apart to clean. I hope my .22 Henry shoots as good when it is 50 years old, although it will be for my grandson to know.
2 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Rimfire wrote:I now own two Henry lever action .22's, and have a bit under a 1,000 rounds through each of them. I have never taken either one apart as after I shoot them there is little fowling to clean out of the chambers, and the bores are cleaned with just a few patches.

Neither of my Henrys have ever jammed, so a light cleaning along with a small amount of lubrication is all that has been required.
I do try to shoot quality ammo and perhaps that also helps keep my Henry's from needing much cleaning.

I need your .22 ammo budget. :)
2 x

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 pm

ditto1958 wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:

I need your .22 ammo budget. :)

Me too!!!!!! :o
0 x