Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Why my Henry is awesome

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Why my Henry is awesome

Post by Frank V » Thu May 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Levers do seem to jump up & be on target. They are easy to hit with.
1 x

solbane
Tenderfoot

Post by solbane » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:44 am

Just got my .22mag and love it. Never owned a lever before, though.
Where might I find a manual/guide for your annual cleaning?
Thank you
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 am

solbane wrote:Just got my .22mag and love it. Never owned a lever before, though.
Where might I find a manual/guide for your annual cleaning?
Thank you
Henry has excellent videos on their website that shows and explains how to do it.

https://www.henryrifles.com/henry-instr ... eo-series/

I used them to disassemble and clean my BB steel, and to install the large loop lever on my H001. If you are reasonably competent with mechanical work, you should have little trouble. The H001 was easier than the BB.

I just took my tablet out to the shop and played the video while I disassembled the H001. OK, I had to pause it periodically, but it went quickly and smoothly. Excellent resource.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:19 am

Does the boresnake slide through the barrel easily, or is there any concern that it may get stuck in the barrel? Are there any videos online showing someone cleaning their henry lever action with a boresnake?

thanks
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:40 pm

larry7293 wrote:Does the boresnake slide through the barrel easily, or is there any concern that it may get stuck in the barrel?
I use them on my H006M and my H001 from the breach to the muzzle.

I put a few drops of CLP or Rem Oil on the front end and another drop on the bristle of the boresnake. After dropping the weighted rope down the barrel from the breach to the muzzle with the rifle pointing down, I position the rifle at a slight angle with the butt on the bench and the ejection port facing down so the working end of the boresnake feeds up and through the barrel when I pull on the rope.

It may pull through a bit slowly and you may even need to hand guide the working end through the breech at first, but after a few times it'll pull through smoothly and without much effort. They've never gotten stuck.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:27 pm

My understanding is that boresnakes are great for a quick cleaning, but are no substitute for using solvent and a brush. My .223 bolt action got cleaned with a boresnake and CLP only for the first couple hundred rounds. I started noticing a lot of flyers when there shouldn't be. I went ahead and cleaned the bore with a brass brush and Hoppes 9. Got a lot of copper out of it. Went back to excellent accuracy after that. I clean all my guns with a brush and solvent at least every other range trip now.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Do you use the 22cal boresnake?
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:40 pm

There was a like-new used one at Cabelas the other day. I was very tempted to take it home with me. I sure don't "need" another, but you all know how that goes.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 am

larry7293 wrote:Do you use the 22cal boresnake?
Not sure if that question is for me, but yes I have the .22 cal boresnake. It is the correct one for my .223 and for the .22lr rifles/handguns I own. I still use it occasionally, but the brush and jags are my normal cleaning routine.

I've been cleaning my Ruger Mark I from the muzzle since I bought it new in the mid 70s. I see no problems with the crown. If I can clean a weapon without major disassembly from the breech, I do so. Otherwise, I carefully clean from the muzzle and don't worry about it.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:49 am

larry7293 wrote:Do you use the 22cal boresnake?
I do. Boresnakes seem to work well for .22 rifles.
0 x