Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sending my Frontier back again.

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Sending my Frontier back again.

Post by leverjc » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:55 am

I have been working on my Frontier to get it ready for Cerakoting. The company that is going to do the Cerakoting on the cover, action, lever and forend ring is backed up for a couple of months so I decided to send it back to Henry to have the barrel replaced as Henry's customer service is usually fast if nothing else. I should have sent this rifle back as soon as they sent it back to me but so far with the two henry's I have purchased they are 0 for 7 on coming up with a good barrel. I am hoping they can go 1 for 8.

The last eighth of an inch of the bore was not rifled so I sent it back to Henry. They sent it back saying they had "adjusted the muzzle". I am not sure what they did but the end of the bore was roughly machined out where the grooves are widened. At the range I was surprised that it would shoot 2" groups at 50 yds with multiple flyers using good ammo.
IMG_0005.JPG
Henry's idea of a muzzle adjustment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Sending my Frontier back again.

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:15 am

suggest you call them back and give them all the facts, including history
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:18 am

That is unfortunate….

Cerakote is not hard to apply if you have a small compressor, airbrush and most important, a good respirator (or a warm *wind free* outdoor patio). It is just like painting a model, but you use ceramic paint with a catalyst (hardener). I have never tried exotic patterns, but I did a wood stock on a Taurus .22 LR rifle in a solid color and it turned out perfectly fine.

Once you learn on scraps of material, you lose the fear of doing a firearm.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote- ... ster-17995

I would hesitate to do a high end firearm, but for your mass produced guns, go for it. You don’t need to sandblast, you can do that step by hand using abrasives.

https://www.recoilweb.com/preview-cerak ... 65851.html

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 pm

How is that coating going to change a future need for customer service from H.R.A.?
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm

I thought of cerakoting it myself. I might still spray it but have read about sanding marks can show so I could just have it blasted and spray it myself. I have already done a lot of work to get the deep machine marks out of the cover and lever and am sending it back in the white. If henry decides I have voided the warranty, when they send it back I spend a day in the shop cutting the barrel off behind the front sight notch, recrown and cut a new sight notch by hand.
3 x

mrt949
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by mrt949 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:14 pm

sent you a pm
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:22 pm

Henry just emailed me and they are sending me a new rifle. I am hoping this one will shoot.
2 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:10 am

The new rifle from Henry arrived today. I bore scoped it and the bore looks good just like the last time but this one only has a couple of tight spots. I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots. The trigger is fair, about 3lbs with some creep. The wood looks nice but the fore stock doesn't fit the action.
20230406_193747.jpg
20230406_193104.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:48 pm

Did you try to loosen up the foregrip slightly and try to tap it down?
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:51 pm

I haven't started to take it apart yet. Should be some type of solution. The gap is a little over a sixteenth of an inch I would have thought that would have been noticed during inspection. I will see what i can do after I shoot it. I am hoping to get in an early Easter morning shoot.
0 x