Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report— shooting low

Talk about the Henry center fire carbine here.
Sgelles
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Range Report— shooting low

Post by Sgelles » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:08 pm

Greetings all,

Finally was able to take my Homesteader to the range. Shot well but a little low but very centered. I’m shooting on the lower half of the center rings. Looking through the sights, I placed the front blade in the center of the rear site.

I’m new to adjusting this type of sight. Which sight(s) do I need to adjust and in what direction?

Thank you.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Range Report— shooting low

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:25 pm

You would need to raise the rear sight.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 am

Page 17 of the manual will explain it better than I can but you need to raise the rear sight. Note that you only need to loosen one windage screw to be able to turn the rear aperture. That way you won't risk messing up your windage adjustment. They must have really fine threads on the stem because a half a turn only changes point of impact 1" at a hundred yards.

I got mine sighted in then mounted a Ranger Point rail on it. Their claim is correct. With the rail in place the factory iron sights are usable. I was able to clean off our 50 yard plate rack quite well with the aperture sights but now have a Burris FastFire III with 3 moa dot on the Homesteader and can knock the plates over much faster....old eyes. :) I'm really enjoying this little carbine. The trigger is getting slicker as the parts become better acquainted and this gun just seems to lend itself very well to offhand shooting in my opinion. Keep us posted.
2 x

Sgelles
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sgelles » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:07 am

I’m an iron sights guy, however, I have already bought a Ranger Point rail in anticipation of mounting my first red dot. 5shot mentioned using a Burris Fastfire 3. It has some good reviews.

Has anyone used a Vortex Viper? If so, your advice please. Thanks.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 am

Ive not used the Viper but I have a Sparc that works just great. I also have a Burris Fastfire 3 like 5shot has. It has been bulletproof
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sgelles
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sgelles » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:04 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 am
Ive not used the Viper but I have a Sparc that works just great. I also have a Burris Fastfire 3 like 5shot has. It has been bulletproof
Thanks. Ordering a Burris right now. The price is right on Amazon.
0 x