Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So ... what's a "survival rifle" anyway?

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: So ... what's a "survival rifle" anyway?

Post by BMCTED » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 am

roddy wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:46 am
'Springfield' M6 Scout...22LR over 410. Strangely, made by CZ.

20180903_095320.jpg
Definitely a neat little gun. Its even fitted to accept sling swivels.

I would love it if they built and sold it like the Thompson/Center Contender with a choice of chamberings for the top barrel to match the pistol on your hip, like .38/.357 magnum, 9mm, .45acp and etc. and maybe 20 or 12 gauge on the bottom.

And maybe came up with an on board cleaning kit. I don't care if it floats, but I'd sure like to be able to run something through the bore if I dropped it nose-first into the snow or muck.

Does the rear sight fold down for storage? Are the sights adjustable?
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:58 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:19 am
Just my thoughts on this:

The firearm, if any, has limited uses in survival depending on the specifics of the situation. In some situations you are the rabbit, not the wolf, and making a lot of noise may not be in your interests. A good knife, and some wire for snares, plus some knowledge of basic survival skills can serve you better, especially if you are the hunted, not the hunter.
Good points Gene.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:13 am

I’ve always liked the look of the M6 Scout firearm. Just so utility looking… :D
2 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:52 pm

GunnyGene wrote:

The firearm, if any, has limited uses in survival depending on the specifics of the situation. In some situations you are the rabbit, not the wolf, and making a lot of noise may not be in your interests. A good knife, and some wire for snares, plus some knowledge of basic survival skills can serve you better, especially if you are the hunted, not the hunter.
While all of that is true, it does not answer the question I asked.

Given a survival situation, what do you think a "Survival Rifle" is and why? Please explain your ideas on what caliber(s) it should be chambered in, it's length, weight, construction materials, COST, operating system, features, needs, wants ... and anything else you can think of.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:15 pm

BMCTED wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:52 pm
GunnyGene wrote:

While all of that is true, it does not answer the question I asked.

Given a survival situation, what do you think a "Survival Rifle" is and why? Please explain your ideas on what caliber(s) it should be chambered in, it's length, weight, construction materials, COST, operating system, features, needs, wants ... and anything else you can think of.
Sorry to disappoint, but in my opinion the term "survival rifle" is no different than the term "assault rifle", or any of a dozen other marketing exercises. All are simply marketing, albeit to different audiences. :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:50 pm

I believe the best survival firearm would depend largely on your environment. Whether you need to hunt for food, defend against grizzly bears or fend off two legged predators in an urban environment. I know one can't choose where they might have to fight to survive, but it's difficult to say which weapon would be the best for survival in general. I guess ANY firearm would be better than none at all to improve your chances.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:42 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:15 pm
All are simply marketing, albeit to different audiences.
Perhaps.

I remember all the arguments in magazines and on forums over the validity of Col. Cooper's Scout Rifle. If the concept made sense to you, you bought one or built one. If it didn't fit you, you didn't. Maybe that was marketing. I say different strokes for different folks.

Heck, some folks buy replicas of old cowboy guns ... or collect old military rifles. And some folks just wouldn't have one.

However, various military s have commissioned and issued survival arms of various types for a while now. I'll warrant the military's interest came LONG before the public even cared about such a thing. After all, the public already had a shotgun by the door or in the gun rack out in their truck.

Aircrews have generally carried handguns, revolvers or automatics, since WW I. During WW II, the German Luftwaffe issued the M30 drilling (3 barreled rifle & shotgun) which was intended to be used by aircrews for hunting and self-defense against natural predators. As mentioned in a post above, the Soviet Space Agency had the TP-82 built for missions in space after a very frightened Cosmonaut insisted on one. The USAF had a long interest in survival rifles, and formerly adopted several. The IDF actually bought AR-7 Survival Rifles and issued them to their fighter pilots. I suppose all of this could be called a form of "simply marketing", if somebody really wanted to press the point. The military s are selling the notion of "surviving" to their aircrews.

For myself, I'm kind of sold on the idea of a reliable 12 gauge close at hand and a good stockpile of various types of ammo for it. My aren't all "tactical-ed out", just a set of sights, a sling and a shorter barrel. Good as both a grocery getter and home defense weapon with the right ammo. My wife can shoot it, and do well with it. I actually like it better for her then the 9mm I bought her. These shotguns make a lot of sense to me. Please note that they are not the only firearms I own, not by a long shot.

On the other hand, we have Hy Hunter and The T-62 Civilian Defense Weapon. Marketing at its finest.

from_1962_showing_the_AR7_design_modified_to_be_a_M1_carbine_a_Tommy_gun_or_a_Broomhandle_Mauser.jpg
from_1962_showing_the_AR7_design_modified_to_be_a_M1_carbine_a_Tommy_gun_or_a_Broomhandle_Mauser.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 3128 times

The German Luftwaffe M-30 Drilling survival firearm. Two 12 gauge shotgun barrels on top and a 9.3x74mmR rifle barrel on the bottom.:

Sauer M.30 Luftwaffe Survival Drilling 3.jpg
Sauer M.30 Luftwaffe Survival Drilling 3.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 3127 times

Israeli AR-7 Survival Rifle:

AR7 Israeli wire stock note carry bag and claning kit.jpg
AR7 Israeli wire stock note carry bag and claning kit.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
0 x

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:51 am

I would love to have one of those drillings. Santa, are you listening?
1 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:52 pm

Most people here and out in the world couldn't survive out in boonies/no man's land with an arm load of rifles.
2 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:35 am

Bring this back on track. I think a survival rifle is a rifle you have immediately available when you the unexpected occurs. The requirements may vary depending on the environment you are in and if you wish to remain legal where you are may dictate your choices.

My father worked in northern Canada for decades. The firearm of choice for camps and crews were sporterized Lee Enfields. Extremely cheap to buy when they were initially purchased, robust and reliable. Main concern was bears in camp but I know of one instance where small game was harvested when they were stuck due to poor weather and the helicopters couldn’t get in.

I am in Canada so carrying a handgun of any sort is not possible. I spend some time in the back country but generally I am no more than a days walk from my vehicle. My biggest concern is a vehicle breakdown or possibly getting lost. I feel having a firearm provides me with the ability to harvest small game and can be used for signalling.

The AR-7 with CCI Mini Mags provides good reliability and acceptable accuracy to 50 yards. Again being in Canada open carry of a long arm in some areas may not be illegal can cause some concerns and possibly some unwanted attention from law enforcement. The AR-7 fits in my pack, no one can see it and I have it with me. When I am far enough out I can remove it from my pack and carry it assembled or disassembled with the sling I made. Being able to carry it disassembled makes it convenient to carry so there is never an excuse to not have it with me even if it’s just a quick trip to the creek for water or search for firewood.

It is a tool and in the environment and context I use it in it is only one of several tools in my bag. Emergency shelter, fire starter, knife, water purifier, water bottle, food, stainless steel mug, whistle, signal mirror, para cord, snare wire and some first aid supplies are also always in my bag. Knife and fire starter are always on me as well.
5 x