Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So ... what's a "survival rifle" anyway?

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: So ... what's a "survival rifle" anyway?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:13 am

When I was part of the helo aircrew in the Corps, you could choose the handgun you carried, either the 38 snubby or 45. Most chose the easier to clean 38. Yes, I chose the .45.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:29 pm

1 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:51 pm

I said I'd give my opinion after giving folks a shot. For me, the survival AMMO selection comes before the picking the survival rifle. I have a list of requirements.

The ammo must:

Be 100 % reliable every time.

Be widely available.

Be fairly inexpensive.

Be one shot knock down dead deadly at 10 feet and more than a mild annoyance at 100 yards.

Be deadly to both ALL food meat and every dangerous predator (including man) all the way up to brown bear of every type.

Be capable of being tailored to fit every shooter in my household. By this I mean, after they take the first shot, the shooter isn’t so hurt or scared they are still willing and comfortable enough to fire a second round.

I think that’s the definition of 12 gauge.

It’s available in 2 ¾, 3 and 3 ½ inch shells.

It’s available from 9 shot for the smallest bird all the way up to OOO buck shot and 1 ounce slugs.

Walmart sells 7s or 8s in 100 round boxes for under $40. I call that 100 meat meals in a box, or how to say “NO” 100 times. This ammo can be modified into wax slugs, or melt the lead and make 7/8th ounce slugs … or refill the hull with 6 - 00 buck pellets and make “cluster buck”, for a lo-recoil, good speed and ACCURATE 12 gauge surprise (check THIS out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24gz_ZcYx4). You could make old fashioned cut shells, but I don‘t find them very accurate.

I know it’s heavy to carry, but I’d carry enough. I sure have enough stored.

As for the “installer”, or the gun to shoot it with, it can be almost ANY decently made reliable shotgun. Single shots are very good, 2 barrels are fine, I LOVE pumps, and semis are OK.

I prefer the shortest legal barrel length for good point-ability at home or in dense woods or brush.

I like a pair of sights on it with a ghost-ring on the rear end.

Add a sling, plastic stock and extended mag/tube as needed.

I have 2 Remington 870 pumps. One for shot, one with rifled barrel for deer slugs.

I don't much care that they don't float.
1 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:13 am
When I was part of the helo aircrew in the Corps, you could choose the handgun you carried, either the 38 snubby or 45. Most chose the easier to clean 38. Yes, I chose the .45.
I must be in the minority, I really never liked the .45. Although I don't have a very small hand, it just never fit correctly, and it was always on my mind that I wouldn't be able to push the strap safety in when I really needed it.

The military transitioned to the Beretta M9 before I went back into the service. I liked it so much, I bought one.

It's my understanding that qual scores went way up with 9mm. It's probably less intimidating then .45 ACP.

Yes, I own one, but it's only for my collection and it doesn't get shot much.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:17 pm
I like the idea of a combination gun like the Savage M/24 with both a rifle barrel and a shot shell barrel. Caliber and gauge is a personal choice but I like a 22 caliber center fire and a 12 ga. Best of both worlds would be a .223 and 12 ga as ammo availability would be better with these two in a SHTF situation.
Really depends on what the survival situation is, are you simply trying to keep yourself feed, does getting a feed take a back seat to protection from 4 or 2 legged preditors? The ideal tool will change constantly with the circumstances.

i have a savage in 22mag/20ga, can do just about everything but I dont carry it much as it is rarely the best tool for a specific job.
I wouldnt mind this cambering in a survival situation, 22mag is a great small game round and will drop medium and large game with well placed shots. A box of 50 22mag take up about as much room as half a dozen 223 something to keep in mind when weight and volume might be at a premium. 20ga isnt far behind the 12ga and a very good selection of shells available from small shot through to slugs and also offers weight and volume savings compared to the 12ga.
2 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:00 am

When I think “survival” I think you are mobile and have to carry everything in your hands or on your back. If we are talking this, a 12 ga. shotgun is probably the closest to a “Swiss Army Knife” as you are going to get. Now if we are talking multiple weapons, I probably would add a 4” 357 mag revolver in a chest holster. It always gives me a tinge of uneasiness to have to plan based on being limited as to what weapons I can own but it is a fun endeavor.
2 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:55 am

Shawlerbrook wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:00 am
When I think “survival” I think you are mobile and have to carry everything in your hands or on your back. If we are talking this, a 12 ga. shotgun is probably the closest to a “Swiss Army Knife” as you are going to get. Now if we are talking multiple weapons, I probably would add a 4” 357 mag revolver in a chest holster. It always gives me a tinge of uneasiness to have to plan based on being limited as to what weapons I can own but it is a fun endeavor.
Check, check and CHECK, my brother from another Mother!

BTW, that "Swiss army knife" comparison is a pretty snappy turn of phrase. I'm going to start using that one ... and, btw, I will ALWAYS give you full credit. :roll:

Just make sure that shotgun has a dang sling on it.

As for hand guns, I like my Beretta 92fs, but I LOVE my old S&W model 19 "Combat Magnum". Everybody seems to forget the very respectable hole it puts in something. And, although they tell me it can happen, I have NEVER seen a properly maintained revolver jam.

As for limiting myself, yep, this was just a discussion about "survival" rifles and for fun. For more serious use, my first choice is my Norinco SKS, but my AK's Springfield M1a, and almost anything from my collection of American military rifles from the last century fill the hand nicely and could get the job done. But, if someone were to come up into the hills where I live raising a ruckus,causing harm and intending evil, they will probably hear from the SKS.
2 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:55 pm

BMCTED, great minds think alike ! :D
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:46 am

'Springfield' M6 Scout...22LR over 410. Strangely, made by CZ.
20180903_095017.jpg
20180903_095017.jpg (202.02 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
20180903_095109.jpg
20180903_095109.jpg (182.17 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
20180903_095320.jpg
20180903_095320.jpg (217.17 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
4 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:19 am

Just my thoughts on this:

The firearm, if any, has limited uses in survival depending on the specifics of the situation. In some situations you are the rabbit, not the wolf, and making a lot of noise may not be in your interests. A good knife, and some wire for snares, plus some knowledge of basic survival skills can serve you better, especially if you are the hunted, not the hunter.
3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.