Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So ... what's a "survival rifle" anyway?

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: So ... what's a "survival rifle" anyway?

Post by BMCTED » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:45 pm

PBSnooker wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:51 am
I would love to have one of those drillings. Santa, are you listening?
You would have to be a VERY good boy to have Santa bring you one of these Survival Rifles. When I went to get that photo, I didn't even look at any of the price tags! :shock:

It is a VERY pretty firearm. I think the Russian TP-82 is as well. Europeans bring an awful lot of class to Survival Firearms.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:07 am

GeoBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:06 am
Mine is a Ruger 10/22 TD with a Magpul Backpacker stock and Trijicon RMR red dot.
308761E0-102B-4521-B782-C554244D695E.jpeg
D3961397-2918-4F83-9C94-8BF6FE34E121.jpeg
What I find interesting with your rifle is that the red dot is on the barrel and since it is a take down version you have the ability to roughly confirm your zero without firing a shot.

This is a feature the AR-7 has. By removing the screw that holds the rear sight on you can see through the receiver and down the bore when the bolt is removed. Depending on who manufactured the AR-7 the bolt may or may not have an ejector groove. Those that have the ejector groove can be removed without tools. Those without the ejector groove require the side plate and ejector to be removed before the bolt can be removed. Not very practical and opening up the receiver increases the chances of losing other parts from the firing mechanism.

Current versions of the Henry rifle have the ejector groove as D’O all Armalite rifles I have seen. Charter Arms rifle may or may not have it.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:03 am

Without defining exactly what sort of survival situation we're looking at here my first choice wouldn't be a rifle. In my opinion there is no more versatile firearm that a 4" .357 revolver. Discreet, lightweight, accurate. powerful and dependable. That pretty much describes a Smith model 66 or other similar revolvers. Wadcutter .38's for small edible stuff and full power 158's for hunting or defense from man or beast.
2 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:57 pm

BMCTED wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 am
roddy wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:46 am
'Springfield' M6 Scout...22LR over 410. Strangely, made by CZ.

20180903_095320.jpg
Definitely a neat little gun. Its even fitted to accept sling swivels...Does the rear sight fold down for storage? Are the sights adjustable?
The rear sight does fold down, but not for storage...there is a peep for .22 use, and when it is folded down, a V-notch pops up for .410 use. There is a spring and detent ball that does a really good job of keeping the rear sight where you put it. There is no elevation adjustment, but windage is drift adjustable.
0 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:23 am

My answer is a 38 snubnose or a glock 43... A Survival situation isn't planned, be it simple as a vehicle breakdown in a remote area or drastic as stranded on the interstate during an EMP attack and total collapse of society. What ever firearm you have with you will be your Survival weapon, all our weapons and ammo will be home (except what your carrying). . I'd love to say my choice is my AR-15 but do I take it with me everywhere I go, I do not. What I do take is a 38 snubnose or a glock 43.
3 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:39 pm

One of my AR's goes with me quite a bit.
Especially when traveling out of town, I'm in SC at the moment visiting family. It came with me, with a half dozen Full mags.😉

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:39 pm
One of my AR's goes with me quite a bit.
Especially when traveling out of town, I'm in SC at the moment visiting family. It came with me, with a half dozen Full mags.😉

RP
I wish I had the freedom to have an AR with me when I felt it was nessecary. Unfortunately, in Canada we have had several rounds of gun control legislation dropped on us. AKs, HKs, FNs, Galil, Aug, etc have been banned for decades. In 2020 ARs, Mini 14/Mini 30, M-14s, CZ-858/Vz-58 and many more were banned. An amendment is in motion now that will ban any centrefire rifle with detachable magazine.

Prior to 2020 ARs were classified as restricted so you could only transport them to and from the range. No hunting or shooting in the back country.

Back to what is a survival rifle anyway. Whatever someone chooses and for whatever reason you need to know how if functions, know how to maintain it and know how to use it in the context that you have decided it is required for.

I have several examples of people that have purchase specific firearms for specific requirements but never used them except for on a static range in good weather. I had a similar experience last year but mine was due to lack of time and not lack of desire to train as I intended to use the firearm. The Canadian Rimfire Precision Series ran a X/22 Competition my area. X/22 is a rimfire competition that incorporates long range PRS style stages out to 300m, short range PRS style stages similar to NRL22, speed steel changes similar to steel challenge, NRA small bore silhouette, 50m and 100m benchrest fired from benches or prone. The match is most suited for 10/22 style rifles. I built a 10/22 for the match. Got it to the range and zeroed the optic and red dot and gathered minimal data from 0 to 300m all from a bench right before the match. Day of the match there were some challenges which impacted my overall score. Most of these challenges could have been easily overcome if I had the time to shoot prone, offhand, from the support side and from some props prior to the match I would have been more successful. The match environment is forgiving, a crappy score is the worst result. In a survival situation whatever that may be may not be forgiving.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:51 am

Where I'm at is pretty isolated. I worry a little that at some point the baddies might discover this place. I have an AR and several magazines at the ready for such a situation that I hope never comes.

Closer to topic intent, I think, I have a Rossi .22 TD that I have used for small rodents. I've never really thought of it though in terms of a 'survival rifle'. Like others CCI mini mag is my ammo of choice.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:17 am

I have pondered this thread very carefully. In a pure survival situation, I'd have to say that it would be my Henry AR-7. It sit's in it's taken down form in my bug out back pack. If I had only seconds to take something and run, that bag is prepacked with necessary survival items. The AR-7 and 100 rds of .22 lr is ready to go with the other items that would also be necessary for a survival grab and go.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:41 am

daytime dave wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:17 am
I have pondered this thread very carefully. In a pure survival situation, I'd have to say that it would be my Henry AR-7. It sit's in it's taken down form in my bug out back pack. If I had only seconds to take something and run, that bag is prepacked with necessary survival items. The AR-7 and 100 rds of .22 lr is ready to go with the other items that would also be necessary for a survival grab and go.
Sounds very practical. Would be quick and easy to grab a handgun to take along if you so desired as well. Preferably a center fire. 8-)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry