Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

M6 Scout

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

M6 Scout

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:29 am

Back in my High School days, a buddy had a rifle he said one of his relatives brought home from his military service. It was an odd duck, with a 22 barrel over a 410 barrel, could be folded, and stored the ammo in the skeletal stock. The trigger was a lever in the stock. The uncle was a combat aviator and this was their survival rifle carried in the cockpit. Years later, I identified the piece as an M6 Survival Rifle manufactured by Springfield Armory and/ or Ithaca.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springf ... y_M6_Scout

I don't know if the Uncle brought back a "lost in action" piece, or bought a civilian copy to keep in his truck when he made it home, but my friend ended up with it when his Uncle passed and we always liked it. Thought the option to have the 410 was cool, and research showed the rifle barrel was available in 22 mag and 22 hornet.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: M6 Scout

Post by BMCTED » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:12 am

This SURVIVAL RIFLE (!!!) was chambered in .22 hornet, a centerfire rather than a rimfire round. It's much more powerful AND reliable than .22 LR rimfire. It's also chambered in .410, which is pretty cool.

I always wondered if 2 3/4 - 12 gauge would be too much ... but then, I have a real fondness for 12 gauge as a self defense/survival round. How about a M6 Scout 2.0 chambered in .223 AND 12 gauge? Absolute light-years better than .22lr.

Rugged and dependable Single action and no cheap cheesy AR-7 mags to bugger things up.

I've always thought the M6 would be a much better alternative to the AR-7 ... and maybe a rifle HRA should consider building.

M6 Scout.jpg
M6 Scout.jpg (297.84 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
1 x