Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

KC Gathering 2020!

Members sometimes like to get together and meet one another in person. This forum topic is for those interested in getting together with other forum members. Remember! The internet is a large place. If you are not comfortable giving out details of your location or other information on the open internet, DON'T.
If you want to get together, use this to meet others who want to.
MR.B
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: KC Gathering 2020!

Post by MR.B » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:36 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 pm
what was the name of those BBQ'd beans we had at Jack Strack .. :?: .. talk about a most pleasant treat .. :idea: .. they were exceptional .. :!:
Those are Jack Stacks own beans. Long story short, bigas$ pot of beans under the smoker, so all the grease and pieces of meat fall off and into the pot.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:41 pm

MR.B wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:36 pm
Those are Jack Stacks own beans. Long story short, bigas$ pot of beans under the smoker, so all the grease and pieces of meat fall off and into the pot.

info appreciated ... not being a fan of baked beans, I was a bit reluctant to try them the first time .... won't make that mistake again .... :D
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:16 pm

B is right, they're famous for those beans and it's kind of like sausage. You really don't want to see how they get made, just order them and enjoy!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Subscribing to thread
2 x
Jeff

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am

An early Happy New Year to all of you!

It's never too early to start planning your fun activities for the coming year, so here goes with a "flag in the ground" on our 2020 Gathering in KC.

As some of you may know, JEBar takes to the road every year, and RV-ing takes LOTS of planning, what with reservations for campgrounds, etc.

SO, he has been mapping out his 2020 excursion, and we're seizing the moment by putting the following dates out there for KC2020:

Tuesday, August 18th: Arrive KC in time for a dinner outing.
Wednesday, August 19th: Shooting fun at Lake CIty Range (Mo Dept of Conservation), followed by another dinner outing.
Thursday, August 20th: Some indoor shooting for those so inclined at Frontier Justice in Lee's Summit, MO (Rifle and/or Pistol), and departures.

So, MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW! Will post links and other info as we get closer to game-time, but travelers might think about staying on the Missouri side of town (Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, for starters).

More to come, but feel free to PM me or post back with any questions!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:35 pm

So PT wants to shoot some black powder. Does the Lake City range allow smoke cause were gonna make some smoke.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:04 pm

ESquared wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am
As some of you may know, JEBar takes to the road every year, and RV-ing takes LOTS of planning, what with reservations for campgrounds, etc.

SO, he has been mapping out his 2020 excursion, and we're seizing the moment by putting the following dates out there for KC2020:

Tuesday, August 18th: Arrive KC in time for a dinner outing.
Wednesday, August 19th: Shooting fun at Lake CIty Range (Mo Dept of Conservation), followed by another dinner outing.
Thursday, August 20th: Some indoor shooting for those so inclined at Frontier Justice in Lee's Summit, MO (Rifle and/or Pistol), and departures.

as Evan noted, count us in .... we had a ball at the last gathering and are really looking forward to August .... as background info, the Missouri ranges at Lake City and Jay Henges are closed on Monday and Tuesday .... hence we are planning a travel day for Tuesday .... should anyone else be staying in a camper, we learned the hard way that the KC campgrounds book up early .... consequently, we plan to make our reservations tomorrow
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:03 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:35 pm
So PT wants to shoot some black powder. Does the Lake City range allow smoke cause were gonna make some smoke.
I'm sure Bob will chime in, but I believe he's taken one of his BP pistols to the other MDC range in town, so Lake City shouldn't be any different.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:32 am

ESquared wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:03 am
BigAl52 wrote:
I'm sure Bob will chime in, but I believe he's taken one of his BP pistols to the other MDC range in town, so Lake City shouldn't be any different.

its been at least 5 years ago but I do remember being on the rifle range at Jay Henges (near St Louis) when a couple of fellows were shooting black powder rifles
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:55 pm

Yup, I have shot my BP pistol at Parma Woods, the other MDC shooting range here in the Northland. It's okay to do so, and I think Lake City should be a go, too.

Interestingly, I found that the 10-12 minute shooting time before a cease-fire is called is not a huge hindrance. I thought it might be. I can reload/shoot 3-4 rounds in that time span. 3 rounds is a little more relaxing, which is part of my enjoyment and goal of having fun with the slow-paced muzzleloading experience. Whenever I spend time at the Ft. Osage ML Range, I take longer but at the most shoot a max of 15 rounds. So it's been an okay range visit experience for me at the state range.

However, I do prefer Parma Woods over Lake City because of the shooting benches and seating. The benches and seats at Lake City are concrete, and attached very close together. The seats swivel off the bench with very little wiggle room. On the other hand, all materials are nice wood at Parma Woods. The shooting benches are older, but well cared for and have quite smooth tops. The seats are standalone benches like you have on one side of a picnic table, and can be moved anywhere w/in the booth. Visitor/watcher seating is all brand new just this fall and has really "brightened up" the whole appearance of the range. Quite a bit of room and quite comfortable. Again, this is just a preference I have. Still Lake City is newer and is a very good range to shoot at. Plus they have the shotgun venue there which Parma Woods doesn't have. Nice to have choices of these two so close by.

PT7
JEBar wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:32 am
ESquared wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:03 am
BigAl52 wrote:

its been at least 5 years ago but I do remember being on the rifle range at Jay Henges (near St Louis) when a couple of fellows were shooting black powder rifles
1 x

~Пока~