Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single shot options

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
Ozziemick
Tenderfoot
Australia

Single shot options

Post by Ozziemick » Tue May 14, 2019 1:27 am

So I had hoped to purchase a Henry single shot, but after a bit of research found that they are not imported in to Australia anymore. So my question is, what’s another good choice? I had my heart set on a nice timber and blued rifle, but would consider anything. The caliber I’m after is 243. Thanks everyone.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Single shot options

Post by Mistered » Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 am

So my question is, what’s another good choice?
Seems more like it might be a case of what are your options.
I have little knowledge of your gun availability there but I suspect single shots (in any brand) are probably pretty hard to find.
Why are they not being imported anymore?
Is it possible to have a rifle shipped to your LGS from a private party or dealer?
0 x

Ozziemick
Tenderfoot
Australia

Post by Ozziemick » Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 am

Caliber I’m after is 243, fills a gap in the safe. Bergara are readily available, stainless synthetic, all reports suggest that they are good, but I just don’t really like the look of them. Ruger #1 are too expensive at over 3k in aud. Thompson Center encore are half the price of the Ruger and worth considering, although still a bit pricey at $1500 Aussie bucks. Baikal are cheap, but most probably for a reason, plus I’d like an exposed hammer. Not sure about the Rossi’s. And kinda thinking about a H&R handily rifle, although don’t know much about them either!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 am

Yes, Encores are a touch pricey, but I would still recommend them. Never had any Encore barrel deliver poor accuracy. Have had some that delivered fair to middlin' accuracy, but never a true lemon. Still your best bet as far as getting predictable accuracy. There's also a thriving market for custom Encore barrels by custom barrel makers, something you won't get with any other brand of single shot.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue May 14, 2019 10:41 am

And kinda thinking about a H&R handily rifle, although don’t know much about them either!
Well the Handi-Rifle (if it's available to you) would be a great option.
They are typically well made and for the price were a great value. I say 'were' because they are no longer made.
I speak from experience as I have one, a later model branded NEF in .223 and it shoots excellently.
If you can find one in .243 do not hesitate!
Many of the more popular caliber Handi-Rifles have become very hard to find - even over here!
0 x

Ozziemick
Tenderfoot
Australia

Post by Ozziemick » Wed May 15, 2019 3:21 am

Another one is the Rossi Wizard. You can change the barrels on them, although I’d probably just stick with a single caliber. Anyone know anything about them?
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Wow! There goes my idea of recommending A Ruger No. 1! Dang, that is EXPENSIVE! I really like those No. 1's. Have one in 30-'06. Great rifle. But, at that price........na-da.
0 x