Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

50 BMG!

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: 50 BMG!

Post by 220 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Greyhawk wrote:Well guys, I don't think practicality or cost was in anyway part of his thinking! (Oh, to be young again!) I think he just plain thinks it is fun and cool. As for the range, they don't have a restriction and he's not shooting any of the steel, just two liter bottles, and paper.

I don't think practicality and cost could ever be part of the justification for a 50BMG purchase :lol:
Fun, cool and novelty for sure.
Like I said I have shot a few gongs with one and the damage to them was no where near what we expected. Even using mono projectiles on a 3/4" mild steel gong at 300y they weren't penetrating.
When I looked at reloading cost it surprised me that there wasn't a lot to be saved. Here in Aus primer powder and projectile cost runs about 2/3 the cost of loaded A-max ammo.
3 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:45 pm

I'll just say I contributed to this:
500yardgong.jpg
500yardgong.jpg (156.17 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
:) :) :) ;)
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Greyhawk wrote:Well guys, I don't think practicality or cost was in anyway part of his thinking! (Oh, to be young again!) I think he just plain thinks it is fun and cool. As for the range, they don't have a restriction and he's not shooting any of the steel, just two liter bottles, and paper.

many of us have made purchases based on want (be it rational or not) and not on need .... 40 or so years ago I told my wife to be that one day I'd have an elephant gun .... yep, she quickly pointed out the fact that elephants aren't known to hang out in the area south of our home in NC .... when I learned that Henry was offering a 45-70, I fulfilled that promise .... :D
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Well.. I had to shoot it! It was a 'blast' but shooting it once was enough for me I think! :D
I was glad to spend the rest of the afternoon behind a .223 and a 9mm.
Attachments
50 at the range.jpg
50 at the range.jpg (155.1 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Wow that's a beast! I see you didn't use that big glove.
What State is that.. that required an AR permit? Does that require a deeper background check other than any other gun?
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Greyhawk wrote:Well.. I had to shoot it! It was a 'blast' but shooting it once was enough for me I think! :D
I was glad to spend the rest of the afternoon behind a .223 and a 9mm.
Yeah, the recoil on that thing must be jarring to say the least. The older I get the wimpier I get.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:43 pm

dddrees wrote:Yeah, the recoil on that thing must be jarring to say the least. The older I get the wimpier I get.

based on semiautomatic rifles and ones with manually operated actions, the actions on the semi-autos negate part of the recoil .... with a 50 single shot, the shooter should probably get the full force of the recoil .... with a 50, that has to be considerable
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:49 pm

fortyshooter wrote:Wow that's a beast! I see you didn't use that big glove.
What State is that.. that required an AR permit? Does that require a deeper background check other than any other gun?
Minnesota: I'm not sure if it was a Federal or State reg. But the regulation defines a firearm having a pistol grip and a muzzle brake as being classified as an AR.. He went to the county for his background check and to be issued the permit, (they had it for him in a couple of days) so it must be a state thing.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:57 pm

JEBar wrote:
dddrees wrote:Yeah, the recoil on that thing must be jarring to say the least. The older I get the wimpier I get.

based on semiautomatic rifles and ones with manually operated actions, the actions on the semi-autos negate part of the recoil .... with a 50 single shot, the shooter should probably get the full force of the recoil .... with a 50, that has to be considerable
I didn't mind the recoil too much.. We agreed that it is similar to a 12 gauge magnum. I think that the muzzle brake is designed in such a way to help with the recoil.
What really made me nervous was the noise. I have real hearing and ear problems, Mainly Tinnitus (ringing of the ears) and it is getting worse (I've been a sheet metal worker for almost 30 years, not to mention firearms and loud music in my youth :D ). I always wear both ear plugs and ear muffs when shooting. But that 50 has quite a pop! (to say the least!) So I don't think that I'll hang around it too much, and I reeeeeely preach to my kids about hearing protection!
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 am

all tooooo well understood on the hearing problems .... I have them as well .... back when I was much younger and arguably even dumber, there wasn't much emphasis on hearing protection .... good, understandable analogy with a 12 ga mag .... not to down play felt recoil from a 12 mag but from the 50's reputation I was thinking it would be harsher .... info appreciated
0 x