Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

50 BMG!

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: 50 BMG!

Post by Henry88 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:14 am

My dad who was in the army from '38 to '45 kept a string of 50 caliber; just for beer talk..............

I just don't remember them being THAT BIG. I guess they were...............
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am

I looked at the ammo costs just because I had gotten curious. It runs between $3.00 and $7.00 per round, not including shipping. You might find some on sale, discounted in the $2.75 range... Might. That I saw marked at that price had a big red SOLD OUT banner across the listing.

Wow...

"Cool gun Tommy, can I pop off a few rounds?"

" Sure Brother, five bucks a round, cash up front, let me know how many you wanna pop off. "

"Ah, two."
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:Go to the Dillon site and look at the cost of the set up to reload the fifty... OMG. I thought about a Barrett once... Just once.
If I win the lottery... Yeah buddy.

The beginner set.. $1195
Full length carbide sizing die $985
Case trimmer $420
Mounting post (i think this is a steel stand) $310
Hardware kit $10

So... The dillon setup...
About $2925
There is a reason my reloading room has equipment from almost every manufacturer apart from Dillon.
Shop around and you will pick up a Lee 50BMG load kit (press dies etc) for around $250.

I did entertain the idea of buying one but having shot a few apart from ringing steel the only reason I can come up with to own one is the novelty.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:21 am

Greyhawk wrote:
Bugs wrote:What company in FL? I live here and may go check it out.
The company is called Serbu Firearms. They are based in Tampa Florida.
Thanks I'll check them out.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 am

220 wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:Go to the Dillon site and look at the cost of the set up to reload the fifty... OMG. I thought about a Barrett once... Just once.
If I win the lottery... Yeah buddy.

The beginner set.. $1195
Full length carbide sizing die $985
Case trimmer $420
Mounting post (i think this is a steel stand) $310
Hardware kit $10

So... The dillon setup...
About $2925
There is a reason my reloading room has equipment from almost every manufacturer apart from Dillon.
Shop around and you will pick up a Lee 50BMG load kit (press dies etc) for around $250.

I did entertain the idea of buying one but having shot a few apart from ringing steel the only reason I can come up with to own one is the novelty.
To be fair... I started out reloading on a single stage RCBS press, and the complete setup, with dies, was about the cost of a set of Dillon carbide dies. But when I started shooting state level competition, loading more than 10k rounds a year, the investment in the Dillion progressive press made sense. Plus, slow and steady was the way to go for a beginning loader anyway. ;)

The base cost of $1200 for the Dillon is a progressive press. RCBS, and Hornady presses on Amazon run $700 and $950 respectively. Keep in mind, the Lee press at $250 is a Single stage press. However, I see your point. Yes, you can load the 50 for a LOT less... And at the low rate you are likely to shoot it... ;) the single stage Lee makes sense. :D I don't see the single shot 50 as a competition rifle, with which one would be pouring rounds downrange. :lol:
2 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:41 am

Greyhawk-

For the milsurp ball pulls (647-655g), they have an iron core. Most ranges (100+ yards) will allow them to be shot on paper but not on their steel targets. Hornady makes a great 750g Amax target bullet that does not hurt "hard" steel (much). :)

Lee has a large single stage press and dies that work well.
... but practical it sure aint.
Practical is not necessary for fun.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:31 pm

If I remember correctly, Serbu was one of the companies making quality short barreled shotguns based on your choice of the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 pumps. They were fairly priced, shot well, used MOSTLY stock parts except for the custom mods, and required the any other weapon fee of... What? $5 I think Hickock45 did a very positive review on them.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_pXTItRtkc

From everything I read, they manufacture quality, your son appears to have made a good choice. :D
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:46 pm

wingnut wrote:Greyhawk-

For the milsurp ball pulls (647-655g), they have an iron core. Most ranges (100+ yards) will allow them to be shot on paper but not on their steel targets. Hornady makes a great 750g Amax target bullet that does not hurt "hard" steel (much). :)

Lee has a large single stage press and dies that work well.
... but practical it sure aint.

Practical is not necessary for fun.

True, but often this is why you see these kind of guns being resold after actually only being fired very little.

I did have my opportunity to fire a M2 during live fire once. I can't remember the round count but it was fairly significant. We never did get that melted sandbag off that barrel when we got done. Sandbags where used for right and left limits on our M113 and we fired it at night with tracers. The mount we used may have kept it on the track but it certainly didn't keep it from shaking all to heck and back. Man, talk about some fire power. The barrel got pretty red, I know I remember that and the part about it shaking pretty violently. I got the chance, I can say I did it, but luckily I didn't have to pay for it.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Well guys, I don't think practicality or cost was in anyway part of his thinking! (Oh, to be young again!) I think he just plain thinks it is fun and cool. As for the range, they don't have a restriction and he's not shooting any of the steel, just two liter bottles, and paper.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:07 pm

This is what can be done (handloaded) with .mil surplus pulled bullets and powder. Rifle is a single shot "California compliant" 50 BMG wildcat cartridge. Groups even better with 750g Amax bullets and commercial RL-33 or RL-50 powder.
510dtc6-24-2012.jpg
510dtc6-24-2012.jpg (130.54 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob