Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cva scout td trigger guard

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Cva scout td trigger guard

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:17 am

Like lots of my guns i want things fixed how i want them. I bought nice little cva scout td in 350 legend to take still hunting in the timber and brush. I like it. However just cause im old fashioned i guess i ordered a walnut stock and forearm from boyds to change out the black synthic stocks on it. Im thinking of a vortex 3x9 scope. My other little issue is I dont completely like the look of the trigger guard. At first i feared it was.... PLASTIC ... but on talking to a helpful cva representive i learned that it is metal.... something called zamak which is some sort of zinc alloy... (would that be pot metal..). .....perhaps. while it is quite possible that material is totally ok and will outlast me by 50 years... but i cant keep from thinking i would like it better if it was stainless steel or brass... im wondering about getting a machinest to use the existing triggerguard for a pattern and having one made.... im just curious... does anyone have any idea how difficult a job it would be to remove the existing trigger guard and reinstall with my prefered option...???????
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Cva scout td trigger guard

Post by leverjc » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:59 am

A pic might help.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 am

No, not pot metal. Zamack is a more sophisticated alloy with much better tensile strength. As you mentioned, Zamak is a zinc alloy - zink with some other metals. I think Henry uses it on some parts and Ruger uses it on their Wrangler. Okay, not traditional steel, but from what I've heard, it is pretty durable. Don't think you'd gain much on that part by going to steel, other than looks and brass my actually be less durable. Pure brass is definitely softer unless you alloy it. Your call, of course.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Henry 22 receivers are Zamak, as is my Long Ranger and AR. So I won't worry about your trigger guard durability.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Great info! Thanks! I feel much better about it now. Thinking i will stay with it and be happy. This place is so helpful to me. Thanks!!!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:01 pm

You are very welcome.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:38 pm

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:17 am
Like lots of my guns i want things fixed how i want them. I bought nice little cva scout td in 350 legend to take still hunting in the timber and brush. I like it. However just cause im old fashioned i guess i ordered a walnut stock and forearm from boyds to change out the black synthic stocks on it. Im thinking of a vortex 3x9 scope. My other little issue is I dont completely like the look of the trigger guard. At first i feared it was.... PLASTIC ... but on talking to a helpful cva representive i learned that it is metal.... something called zamak which is some sort of zinc alloy... (would that be pot metal..). .....perhaps. while it is quite possible that material is totally ok and will outlast me by 50 years... but i cant keep from thinking i would like it better if it was stainless steel or brass... im wondering about getting a machinest to use the existing triggerguard for a pattern and having one made.... im just curious... does anyone have any idea how difficult a job it would be to remove the existing trigger guard and reinstall with my prefered option...???????
I first thought zamak was pot metal but NCG says no! I'll have to look it up.
Jake
0 x