Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Heart attack at the LGS !

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Heart attack at the LGS !

Post by Ernie » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:55 am

Only 45 Colt I have seen in the last year is cowboy ammo and that is very pricey. Haven't seen ANY .44 at all.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:41 am

A new low (high) has been reached. A local guy on our local guntrader site just listed some Winchester large rifle primers for $25 per hundred. YES, $25 per hundred which was the price for a thousand maybe 10 years ago. :shock:

He won’t sell them but just listing them is nuts.
1 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:01 pm

I know this is about a year old but nothing has changed, has it? Still being raped by the same old scalpers here in mary land. Id love to buy local but my Lord, I jist cant do it. Its bad when saving on shipping and hazmat still doesnt save any $. Its like they look online, average prices, shipping and hazmat and orice their stuff just a little higher. Really stupid.

Just wanted to add that where I am there are actually relatively fee gunstores and even fewer who sale reloading supplies. There is one about 40 minutes away that until recently I had never visited. Walked in and spied 6 boxes of Fed150 LPPs, for $139 apiece. Nope. For Fed150's? I asked if they usually stocked many reloading supplies and she said no and that those were only there because the prior owners had left those along some other inventory. I am supposing they bought the business as opposed to starting it.
I ended up back in there a month or so later and asked here if she could lower the price to match an online sale going on with no hazmat to which she replied that they had paid more than that for them. Remember, they were bought with the store so unless everything was itemized in the purchase price........ well, you get the picture.
Persistence pays off I guess, I ended up getting them for $89 each. Yes, still almost triple what they cost 5 years ago and it just sticks in my crawl but given current greed levels I guess it was about normal.
Ive had to rework a lot of my loads to factor in a different primer but it has worked out. I save all of my CCI,Win and Rem primers for serious ammo and use the Feds mostly for range ammo, although they seem to do just fine as far as I can tell, without my chrono, which I shot.😁
Last edited by Bill.68 on Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:25 pm

Yep, I'm into doing as much as possible myself to save some money. That's why I changed out the regulator and window motor on the Town and Country myself. I saved hundreds of dollars by taking on the project myself. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff to pay out of pocket for like tree trimming but as long as I'm able I'll take on projects if I'm capable.
Jake
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:55 pm

We caught a sale at Ammunitiondepot.com and got a 1,000 round case of winchester 9mm for 13 cents a round and free shipping. I thought about buying two. My neighbor has had his wife's 9mm for two years and had a half a box of ammo left since the first time they shot it two years ago. He has an AR, with NO iron or optic sights, and NO 223 ammo. I warned him that with the situation in Israel he might want to consider going ahead and buying the ammo while it was still affordable, and get either irons / optics or both for the AR. "We have been meaning to do so, I just keep for getting. I texted him the website, and Brownells for the sights two weeks ago. They have the money, the just don't prioritize.

Got an email from AD today, and the 9mm is now 26 cents a round in 1,000 round case lot... doubled in the last two weeks. That's for Fiocchi. Don't know what Winchester and Federal was going for...

When Covid hit a couple years ago I warned one of our good friends in VA to buy ammo for the gun he just got before there wasn't any. There was still ammo on the shelves at the time, but I told him: "Like milk and bread before a hurricane, it's going to go away." He said, "Yeah, yeah, I need to do that." A year later, when the shelves were bare, he still just had the two boxes he originally got with the gun. They were rioting in the streets blocks from his home, and HE had no ammo. He had several friends that had stocks of ammo, but funny thing, they weren't sharing.

We had been in Oklahoma almost a year.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:16 am

I did the same thing right before and right after obozo got in with .22 LR. I bought several bricks for $16 and picked up CCI Mini mags when they were still reasonable. Now when I want to shoot a .22 rimfire revolver or rifle it doesn't bother me to burn up some of that ammo.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:34 am

Todays normal for primers seems to be 79-89 bucks at my LGS and about same online. When I see SP or LP primers I get a box to add to the stash. Have plenty of powder and just add to the primer quantity. Remember now that one company in Europe owns CCI and Federal and can do what they want for production and sales!
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:20 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:34 am
Todays normal for primers seems to be 79-89 bucks at my LGS and about same online. When I see SP or LP primers I get a box to add to the stash. Have plenty of powder and just add to the primer quantity. Remember now that one company in Europe owns CCI and Federal and can do what they want for production and sales!
That’s about what I see around here too.
0 x