Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What diet are you feeding your 44 Mag big boys?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

What diet are you feeding your 44 Mag big boys?

Post by Sumaru » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:39 pm

Hey all, most of my posts here so far (well...all of them) have been concerned with accuracy issues. I have been going to the range with PMC Bronze 240grain TCSP. In my last post, I'd mentioned that I missed a deer- completely my fault- I didn't verify at 100. Yesterday, I did, and the rifle is capable, but I had a few rounds that didn't hit the target at all-from a bench rest. In an effort to consider any and all variables, just hoping to get some input on what your experiences have been with ammo choices. What does your 44Mag BBS prefer?
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: What diet are you feeding your 44 Mag big boys?

Post by Vaquero » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:49 pm

Sorry I can't help much, as mine gets a steady diet of my hand loads.
Mostly cast and I just plink with mine out to 55 yds. lol, that is where the picnic table is from the berm in the back yard.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am

My BBS Carbine .44 started out with only so-so accuracy. I noticed fine striations, like faint scratches that ran down the grooves and lands. At 25 yards it would shoot groups offhand about 3". I never thought of it as a target rifle, so I kept on shooting it, and it gradually improved. All I shoot are hot jacketed loads. I think they may be polishing the bore. When it was 'rougher' it got copper fouled but as it smoothed out it does that a lot less. I think I have about 400 rounds through it now, and it could take deer reliably out to 100 if I do my part.
I have shot Hornady 225 grain, Remington 180 grain and Ultramax (?) 240 grain loads. No cast bullets, no reloads.
It's not a target rifle. Yours might be better. Good luck!
1 x

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sumaru » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:17 pm

Conax wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am
My BBS Carbine .44 started out with only so-so accuracy. I noticed fine striations, like faint scratches that ran down the grooves and lands. At 25 yards it would shoot groups offhand about 3". I never thought of it as a target rifle, so I kept on shooting it, and it gradually improved. All I shoot are hot jacketed loads. I think they may be polishing the bore. When it was 'rougher' it got copper fouled but as it smoothed out it does that a lot less. I think I have about 400 rounds through it now, and it could take deer reliably out to 100 if I do my part.
I have shot Hornady 225 grain, Remington 180 grain and Ultramax (?) 240 grain loads. No cast bullets, no reloads.
Thanks, Conax! I'll try the patience route and just try to get her "broken in". I did verify out to 100 yards last weekend, but it seemed as the barrel warmed, things got less predictable. Just wanting to make sure ammo isn't the issue. I can tell you, it hates the "cowboy action" loads. I share the sentiment!
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:53 pm

Sumaru wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:17 pm
Conax wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am
Thanks, Conax! I'll try the patience route and just try to get her "broken in". I did verify out to 100 yards last weekend, but it seemed as the barrel warmed, things got less predictable. Just wanting to make sure ammo isn't the issue. I can tell you, it hates the "cowboy action" loads. I share the sentiment!
Yes as the barrel hears up the accuracy suffers, that's with pretty much any rifle.
Even the thick octagons heat up, just not as fast.
When I'm testing news loads I'll shoot 2 or 3, then wait a few minutes before I shoot the next 2 or 3.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hank44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hank44 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:01 am

Factory ammo scarce and expensive. I'm gonna load my own.
Hunting rounds are Hornady 240gr XTP's, but looking to load some plinking rounds too.

I will buy some factory rounds just to compare accuracy after the holiday bills are paid.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:22 am

I've experienced this in both my 357 and 45 colt.

I'll tell you the problem i had. Everything was loose. I kid you not. Get a good set of screw drivers and tighten everything down properly. Most importantly, the scope base if you are using a scope, the forend, and all the action screws.

The groups after that, were cut in half, and with practice, I've cut them down further.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:03 pm

I think DsGrouse has some good advice, if you are getting decent groups at a 100yds with flyers that do not even hit the target it sounds likely that your scope or mounts could be loose. The scope could be going back into position most of the time and in a different position sometimes.

I had a barrel that would shoot well for about 5 rounds then because of a rough bore would build up copper to where it was shooting 6 inch groups at 50yds after a few more shots. What do your patches look like after you clean it.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:26 pm

leverjc wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:03 pm
I think DsGrouse has some good advice, if you are getting decent groups at a 100yds with flyers that do not even hit the target it sounds likely that your scope or mounts could be loose. The scope could be going back into position most of the time and in a different position sometimes.

I had a barrel that would shoot well for about 5 rounds then because of a rough bore would build up copper to where it was shooting 6 inch groups at 50yds after a few more shots. What do your patches look like after you clean it.

In my case, the blue locktite did not hold the scope base. I cleaned the areas with a q tip and acetone. Then the set screws with acetone. Afterward, I added a drop to each screw on the scope base and tightened it down to 25 inch pounds. I let it sit overnight and then put the scope on.

Don't discount the forend or the rear stock. both my plastic x stock and wood stocks worked themselves loose. Check them regularly.
1 x