Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Moon clips questions...

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Moon clips questions...

Post by dave77 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:55 pm

Headhog wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:42 pm
Kissmybrass wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:30 pm
dave77 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:51 pm
I was wondering about moon clips myself and found this Jerry Miculek video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqLinQGGxSQ&t=29s
Here's a couple that show how fast you can reload with moon clips although you are not likely to get as fast as Jerry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByyEGkdQJF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFW8eSzb44
OMG Jerry is lightning fast! Thanks for the vids!
The man is not human. I'm convinced he was dropped off by and alien space ship. :lol:

Paul
Watch this video and you'll be completely convinced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:22 pm

All I can say is ...WOW!
He is Amazing.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:10 pm

1000 yards and on the second shot! Amazing!!!
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:40 am

I graduated from the academy a long time ago, and was issued a Model 64 38 revolver. I never felt undergunned. But, I had been a shooter for many years and practiced all the time, including competing in PPC matches. We shot 38s from 7 to 50 yards. We had rapid fire stages firing 12 rounds in 20 seconds, starting with the revolver holstered. Learning the proper techniques, I could reload my revolver with the speedloader faster than most shooters could reload an auto.

revolver and speedloaders.jpg
revolver and speedloaders.jpg (102.44 KiB) Viewed 397 times

In light clothing weather I have always carried a lightweight 38 revolver, starting with the Smith Airweight model 642. Aluminum Frame, 38 caliber and hammerless, perfect for the jacket pocket. I either carried the speedloader or the Bianchi Speed Strips. Learn the proper techniques, you can reload pretty quick with those as well.

smith model 42 w goodiies.jpg
smith model 42 w goodiies.jpg (131.27 KiB) Viewed 397 times

These days, I moved up to the Smith Model M&P 340 scandium framed .357. Soooo light, you almost forget you are carrying it. But, So light the recoil with full house 357 is BRUTAL. :o

new smith and wesson round butt boot grips.jpg
new smith and wesson round butt boot grips.jpg (183.83 KiB) Viewed 397 times

You can shoot this gun a lot and not be bothered by the light weight, if you practice with 38 special ammo. ;) Then shoot five rounds of +P or 357 just to show you can.... :twisted: I call this little gun "The Beast." But, If someone was looking down the barrel, they wouldn't wonder if you shot five times or six, they'd know if it was loaded. :lol:

6 howdy.jpg
6 howdy.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 397 times

In the cold weather months, Flannel Shirt or heavy coat months, I carry my Sig P220... 8 rounds of 45acp... why not?

Classic P220a.jpg
Classic P220a.jpg (168.59 KiB) Viewed 397 times
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:43 am

I had a 45acp revolver for a short while that used moon clips. I really didn't see the advantage offered by the caliber vs. the pain in the butt dealing with the moon clips. The nice thing, the ONLY nice thing about the moon clips is that during matches, speedloading during stages, collecting my brass was EASY as pie. Pick up the brass contained in the various moon clips. I was the only one on the line using them. Told me something. I sold the gun and all the moon clips and the tool I bought to deal with them... Bought more loading supplies for 38 and 45 for the 1911.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 am

Over the years I’ve owned several S&W J frame revolvers including one with moon clips (which I hated), Ruger LCR’s and one Taurus. I found the Ruger’s have the best trigger and the Taurus the worst. However in 38 special the Taurus is a six shot while the others are five shots which is a plus. Currently I carry an LCR in .327 Fed Mag which is a six shot but you mentioned not wanting a new caliber and of all the new new calibers you could acquire .327 would be the worst one. Cost and availability are terrible.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:41 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:40 am

In light clothing weather I have always carried a lightweight 38 revolver, starting with the Smith Airweight model 642. Aluminum Frame, 38 caliber and hammerless, perfect for the jacket pocket. I either carried the speedloader or the Bianchi Speed Strips. Learn the proper techniques, you can reload pretty quick with those as well.

I had a couple 642s in my hands at the shop a couple weeks ago. Not sure if they were the Pro models with the clips or not. I'm heavily leaning towards that model with the standard cylinder. Love the 220 btw!
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:46 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 am
Over the years I’ve owned several S&W J frame revolvers including one with moon clips (which I hated), Ruger LCR’s and one Taurus. I found the Ruger’s have the best trigger and the Taurus the worst. However in 38 special the Taurus is a six shot while the others are five shots which is a plus. Currently I carry an LCR in .327 Fed Mag which is a six shot but you mentioned not wanting a new caliber and of all the new new calibers you could acquire .327 would be the worst one. Cost and availability are terrible.
Yeah I have 9mm .38/.357 5.56 .22 45-70 and 12 gauge. Don't want to add any more dies if I can help it. Next venture would be .308 bolt action but that's way down the road :-)
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:54 am

Kissmybrass wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:41 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I had a couple 642s in my hands at the shop a couple weeks ago. Not sure if they were the Pro models with the clips or not. I'm heavily leaning towards that model with the standard cylinder. Love the 220 btw!
The only Airweights I have owned were the standard models not modified for moon clips. The last one Tina claimed and carried it the last five years. She just bought a Kimber Micro 9 to transition to, so it will carry flatter in her purse. Eight Shots rather than five. :roll: Meh, she shot the Airweight well, but I have a "few" :? guns in my safe so if she wanted a new one, who am I to balk. She used to carry the Glock 23c Compensated 40 cal.

When carrying the P220 under a heavy jacket, I might (often) have one of the snubbies in an outside pocket just in case. 8-) Slip your hands in your pockets often in cold weather. Hard to get inside that jacket quickly if you are surprised.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:19 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:54 am
Kissmybrass wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:41 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

The only Airweights I have owned were the standard models not modified for moon clips. The last one Tina claimed and carried it the last five years. She just bought a Kimber Micro 9 to transition to, so it will carry flatter in her purse. Eight Shots rather than five. :roll: Meh, she shot the Airweight well, but I have a "few" :? guns in my safe so if she wanted a new one, who am I to balk. She used to carry the Glock 23c Compensated 40 cal.

When carrying the P220 under a heavy jacket, I might (often) have one of the snubbies in an outside pocket just in case. 8-) Slip your hands in your pockets often in cold weather. Hard to get inside that jacket quickly if you are surprised.
While we are on this subject what would be a good +P defensive round to carry? I know the lower speeds mess up certain hollow points from correctly expanding. I think I reloaded some 125s and 158's (Hornady XTP) in .38 special brass.
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac