Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Moon clips questions...

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Moon clips questions...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:39 pm

I have been partial to Gold Dot and Hydrashock rounds since my time as a Department Firearms Instructor. A major supplier brought a number of duty rounds down to our range from their brick and mortar store in New England. We had invited instructors from surrounding agencies to attend, including the State Police, and several local offices of Initial Agencies.

They set up Gel Tests and fired into the blocks live in front of the group, with several calibers from each brand and offering. I was very impressed with the Gold Dot and Hydrashock rounds. Both performed flawlessly throughout the tests, including through flannel shirts and winter coats. Instructors had been invited to bring samples of their current duty ammo and some plugged when fired through clothing and failed to expand, becoming a solid projectile passing completely through the blocks. :o Yep, one major agency was shocked. They couldn't fault the test, they brought the ammo and fired it from a carry gun worn by the instructor.

We ordered 40 caliber Gold Dot for the department, I placed a personal order for 38, 9mm, and 45acp. It remained our duty ammo as long as I was with the Department.

I always recommended against carrying reloads for personal protection, though these days many lawyers will say as long as they are loaded to industry standards, and not custom Frankenstein loads, (Hot loaded hollow base wadcutters, loaded backwards in the case to create a gaping hollowpoint,) the argument can be defeated in court. But, avoid it entirely by buying factory ammunition.

Hope this helps...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:53 pm

Just found this... https://www.speer.com/ammunition/handgu ... 921GD.html
Might have to try these if and when I get a .38 pocket :-)
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:13 pm

0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Gonna be using those when I get a snubby :-) Lucky Gunner has some great data on various rounds as well
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac