Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Moon clips questions...

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Moon clips questions...

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:04 pm

When you're ready to explore those revolver brands, just holler. I've carried every one of them, except for the Taurus and after examining a lot of Taurus revolvers in the showcase over the years, that's fine with me.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:28 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:04 pm
When you're ready to explore those revolver brands, just holler. I've carried every one of them, except for the Taurus and after examining a lot of Taurus revolvers in the showcase over the years, that's fine with me.
I figured for such a low price point there's gotta be some quality shortcuts... I looked as some SW's and like em. Do you have a favorite? Haven't seen a Colt or Ruger yet.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:50 pm

The Kimbers are excellent and I have had a few of them. Expensive, though, but you do get 6 shots instead of the usual 5 with a Smith or a Ruger and if you plan to use a DA trigger, the Kimbers are top notch.

The new Colt Cobra actually surprised me, given Colt QC can be spotty. The one I had actually shot very well. Also gets you 6 rounds instead of 5.

For small, compact and light, still pretty tough to beat a Smith J frame.

The Ruger L series revolvers are worth a look, too.

These days, I'm back to single actions revolvers for all of my needs, including any self-defense needs, since self-defense for me is the 4 legged kind, not the kind that shoots back. A single action works for my needs, plus I've been shooting single actions from the very beginning and they fit my shooting like a glove. :)
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:34 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:50 pm
The Kimbers are excellent and I have had a few of them. Expensive, though, but you do get 6 shots instead of the usual 5 with a Smith or a Ruger and if you plan to use a DA trigger, the Kimbers are top notch.

The new Colt Cobra actually surprised me, given Colt QC can be spotty. The one I had actually shot very well. Also gets you 6 rounds instead of 5.

For small, compact and light, still pretty tough to beat a Smith J frame.

The Ruger L series revolvers are worth a look, too.

These days, I'm back to single actions revolvers for all of my needs, including any self-defense needs, since self-defense for me is the 4 legged kind, not the kind that shoots back. A single action works for my needs, plus I've been shooting single actions from the very beginning and they fit my shooting like a glove. :)
You must open carry? Single actions are usually the Colt Army style, right? What do you carry or what's your fave?
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Kissmybrass wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:38 pm
Glad I checked on the moon clips. Next thread is gonna be Smith & Wesson or (well, any other brand in the .38 +P category) debate. Seems the Taurus is 100% stainless but comes in way cheaper. There's gotta be a reason right? Heard great things about the Rugers and the Kimber revolvers are kinda sweet and modern looking. Would be hard to get away from SW though.
Got that right KMB. Nothing in DA comes close to the 686, other than maybe a Python. JMO.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:47 pm

You can carry concealed, as in under your jacket or coat, if you have your permit, otherwise open carry. The traditional Colt 1873, the Peacemaker, or its many clones via Uberti, Pietta and others fits me the best of any single action, but I've owned and used many, many others.

Here's my Cimarron (Pietta) Frontier 357 (top) and my Taylor's (Uberti) Smoke Wagon 357
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:00 pm

Beautiful SA revolvers!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:14 pm

Love case hardened SAA's :-) Very nice!
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:23 pm

Thanks, guys. What I mean by fit with the 1873s is that I can comfortably cock them one-handed without any change in my grip. That's actually very important if I ever needed a fast follow up shot and couldn't use a two-handed grip. It doesn't take much in a single action's dimensions to change that. For instance, the Ruger Vaquero is very close to an 1873 Colt, but it's just different enough for me to contort my grip in order to cock it with one hand. Very awkward for me to shoot one hand and even more so for Blackhawks. For the Rugers, I draw and operate with a cowboy action style two hand hold.

And for me, there is still nothing faster for me to draw from a holster and that is better balanced than the traditional Colt. Pretty amazing after all these years. Long live the 1873 Colt.

Here's my coin finish, engraved Taylor/Uberti in 45 colt
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:42 pm

oooooh coin finish is beautiful! I can see ya fanning off 6 rounds in a couple seconds with that lol
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac