Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leverevolution - long term storage Q???

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Leverevolution - long term storage Q???

Post by geezerjohn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 pm

I read recently that this ammo should not be stored “for long periods” in tubular magazines (which this ammo was designed for:). My assumption is to avoid compression/deformation of the jelly tip?

I cannot find any other corroborating articles or statements - at least not yet.

Anyone have additional info - before I order a large batch of this ammo?
TIA

geezerjohn
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Leverevolution - long term storage Q???

Post by Travlin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:27 am

Why would you want to "store" it in the magazine for a long time?
0 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:34 am

Some folks use their long guns as self defense weapons - hence, they might keep it loaded for extended time periods.

geezerjohn
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:19 am

I noticed a very minor tip deformation ( a slight flattening of the point) on a couple rounds after leaving the tube fully loaded for about 4 months. Didn't look like it was severe enough to effect accuracy. I think if you only loaded 4 or 5 rounds there wouldn't be enough constant pressure to cause any for quite a long time.

There was an issue with these tips a few years ago when they first came out, mostly with high mv at 400yds or more. The tips would soften and deform in flight from aerodynamic heating enough to cause a significant accuracy problem, but Hornady reformulated the tip, and the problem went away.
Last edited by GunnyGene on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:37 am

If your intent is self defense, then there are many other choices that work perfectly well and don’t have that (potential) problem. What threat are you worried about? If human, then a good hollow point like Gold Dot or even a Lehigh Xtreme Defense load, would be a great pick. What caliber?

I like to use factory ammo with a “correct” name like “defense” in case of litigation. It would go over a lot better with a clueless jury than ammo called “annihilator” or “penetrator”. IMHO…

John Davies
Spokane WA
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about long term storage of Leverevolution ammo in a tube magazine .... if stored for defensive purposes I doubt any deformation of the plastic tip would matter when fired at a target a few feet away .... the possible impact of such storage on the magazine tube spring would be a different matter ....
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:29 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm
I wouldn't worry about long term storage of Leverevolution ammo in a tube magazine .... if stored for defensive purposes I doubt any deformation of the plastic tip would matter when fired at a target a few feet away .... the possible impact of such storage on the magazine tube spring would be a different matter ....
There's another aspect to this. Hornady had to make the plastic hard enough to resist deformation, but not so hard that it would ignite a primer under recoil. I've never had a problem with that, but it does make me a little nervous. So instead of LeveRevolution, I keep a few rounds of 210gr XTP in the mag tube. My .41 BBSC is not a primary home defense weapon, but it's there if needed. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:49 pm

to make it clear, I don't care for and do not fire Leverevolution ammo .... in his post he asked about it specifically and that's what I directed my comment to .....
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:30 pm

I keep Lever-evolution in my .35 year round. Haven't had a deformation problem yet. Even if so I don't believe it would affect accuracy at lever gun ranges. The base of the bullet is what drives it and it has to be perfect.
0 x