Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CCI Standard Velocity

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

CCI Standard Velocity

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:17 pm

Was at my local Wally World today and they had very little ammo.
They did have 4 boxes of CCI standard velocity 22 lr rated at 1070 fps. They were only $4.84 per box, so I picked up a couple for the heck of it.
Has anybody had any experience shooting this round? I DO have some CCI Mini Mags, but have never shot these standard ones.

Mark
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: CCI Standard Velocity

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:52 pm

CCI SV 22LR is probably the most used standard velocity 22LR ammo in use, today, once you step up from bulk 22 LR ammo. It's not match grade target ammo, though I have had many guns that love it and shoot it very well. It's basically practice ammo used in a lot of target grade handguns like the S&W Model 41. S&W actually recommends it for that gun. For the money, tough to beat. CCI SV is probably our most used 22LR ammo for general purpose shooting when we want something better than the bulk stuff. We always try to have at least one brick on hand at all times. Have been using it for many, many years.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:02 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:52 pm
CCI SV 22LR is probably the most used standard velocity 22LR ammo in use, today, once you step up from bulk 22 LR ammo. It's not match grade target ammo, though I have had many guns that love it and shoot it very well. It's basically practice ammo used in a lot of target grade handguns like the S&W Model 41. S&W actually recommends it for that gun. For the money, tough to beat. CCI SV is probably our most used 22LR ammo for general purpose shooting when we want something better than the bulk stuff. We always try to have at least one brick on hand at all times.
Thanks a bunch! You touched on everything I wanted to know and more. Even though they were cheap, it's still nice to know it is money well spent. I will use it for practice in my Ruger Single Ten.
Thanks again for your input Joanie! I think I'll pick up more if they have any left.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:57 pm

For sure, grab some more if you can, Mark. Most places around here limit you to two boxes when it's available and that's not very often. Should do very well in your Single Ten.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Probably shot 100k rounds of it over the last 25 years, like NCC said it is sort of the entry point for target ammo. Doesnt have the consistency of the true match grade stuff but at less then 25% of the price it does the job for 95% of paper shooting.
3 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:36 pm

Yep it is good stuff. My little mare’s leg loves it. But then so do all of my .22 guns.
Goes exactly where the gun is pointed. Which occasionally coincides with the point where I intended to point the gun. :D
3 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:40 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:36 pm
Yep it is good stuff. My little mare’s leg loves it. But then so do all of my .22 guns.
Goes exactly where the gun is pointed. Which occasionally coincides with the point where I intended to point the gun. :D
Thanks people! I'm really liking the positive responses. Not that I spent much, but more re-assurance that stocking up whenever I see more, is probably a good idea.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:33 am

Before the ammo drought I would go to a local sport shop that had CCI standard in stock and I would buy several different lot numbers. I would go home and take a couple CZ's and a couple old Remington's and head right to the range and test the ammo for accuracy. The numbers that showed the most consistent best accuracy I would call my shop and give him the lot number and have him hold me a case or two and go get it the next day. The good old days when ammo was priced good and was plentiful. I have a few lot numbers of CCI standards that will hang right in there with RWS and SK for accuracy and that is a at a much better price point than either of the mentioned German made ammo.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks bandit...good to hear!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:43 am

I saw them at WW and Academy the other day but didn't grab any.
I did though pickup an extra 50 rounds of 22 mag.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012