Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

44 score and bear load mod

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
BatterDipt
Tenderfoot
United States of America

44 score and bear load mod

Post by BatterDipt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:37 pm

I got pretty lucky this week, I hit two stores in one day and they both had 44 Mag in stock. Dicks had the Lever Revolution but would only sell one box at a time. I went to the range today and shot a few of each to celebrate.

The HSM Bear Load had a problem - It would not feed or cycle no matter how much I forced, jiggled, or caressed the lever. Tried a few and had the same problem every time. I turned the gun sideways to shake the rounds out and saw that each one I tried had a nice sized burr on the square corner of the nose.

The solution ? - I pulled out my genuine NRA pocket knife, and while spinning the bullet in one hand, I whittled (more of a scrape) the square corner and rounded it off. Perfect feed and cycle. I did a few more and they all worked. I did a total of 6 while at the range , and I realize that because of TLAR (That Looks About Right) machining tolerances, each was a little different than the other . But at 50 yards I called the grouping a great success for my shooting ability. When I got home I tried the cordless drill instead of getting hand cramps, and spun them against my knife blade. Here's the before and after picture of the "rounding off). That's all the chamfer that is needed.
Attachments
bearload mod 001.jpg
bearload mod 001.jpg (96.71 KiB) Viewed 648 times
44_ammo_assort_001.jpg
44_ammo_assort_001.jpg (142.26 KiB) Viewed 648 times
2 x
Tom M. Central PA (for now) H012G 44Mag H006M Big Boy 357, H004M 22Mag, H001.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 44 score and bear load mod

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 pm

good to hear you found some ammo .... HSM Bear loads have always been good for us, surprised to hear of the issue with them .... good to know you have an easy fix and that they group well
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: 44 score and bear load mod

Post by Rifletom » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:46 am

Nice find on the ammo and nice work on it also. Lucky day!
0 x