Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ammo supply good in your ‘hood?

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Ammo supply good in your ‘hood?

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:16 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:22 pm
I was in Walmart today, lo and behold three boxes of 30-30 in Winchester. Winchester is my preferred brand. My Marlin likes 150 grain, which was only one box. And, that was the amount I was looking for. My Henry does not seem to be as picky. The other two boxes were 170 grain. I thought about it, then just went with the 150 grain. I have 170 grain still waiting to be shot, which I may do when that is all left. My rifles seem to be more accurate with 150 grain. The 150 grain was $19, and the 170 grain was $17. So, I must not be the only one who prefer 150 grain. At any rate, seems like light at the end of the tunnel.

The small things in life:

Win-150.JPG
Hope you're right my friend!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:23 pm

sadly, the Walmart in Brookings, SD where I was able to find skeet shells a couple of weeks ago hasn't had any since .... they do have a few boxes of 16 ga but that's about it .... rifle and pistol ammo has been all but nonexistent all along
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:14 pm

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:23 pm
sadly, the Walmart in Brookings, SD where I was able to find skeet shells a couple of weeks ago hasn't had any since .... they do have a few boxes of 16 ga but that's about it .... rifle and pistol ammo has been all but nonexistent all along
To my knowledge, WalMart does not stock pistol calibers anymore, other than 22's. Even that flies off the shelf when they get any at all. That's whart my local Wally World tells me.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:37 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:23 pm
Yes, I do see shotgun shells from time to time, mainly birdshot. On the Marlin forum, people have been reporting finding a few boxes of 30-30 in Remington over the last couple of weeks. So, I thought that I would take a look. There were a few boxes of 300 Win Mag and 350 Legend, plug a few boxes of birdshot (12 ga and 16 ga) as well. I guess the price gougers must have enough. I have been getting daily e-mails from GrabAGun about ammo and firearms sales. I guess it has it hands full as well. I did notice a 50% decrease in its price for 12 ga 00 buck. But, the LGS where I go has also, at about $2 more. After shipping, the local is actually cheaper. So, I just go local.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:18 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:22 pm
I was in Walmart today, lo and behold three boxes of 30-30 in Winchester. Winchester is my preferred brand. My Marlin likes 150 grain, which was only one box. And, that was the amount I was looking for. My Henry does not seem to be as picky. The other two boxes were 170 grain. I thought about it, then just went with the 150 grain. I have 170 grain still waiting to be shot, which I may do when that is all left. My rifles seem to be more accurate with 150 grain. The 150 grain was $19, and the 170 grain was $17. So, I must not be the only one who prefer 150 grain. At any rate, seems like light at the end of the tunnel.

The small things in life:

Win-150.JPG
In todays world, that isn't bad for 30-30 ammo. Ha! First world problems. 8-)
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Walmart had five boxes of 30-30, 150 grain in Remington this time at $18. There was a three box limit. But, I only picked up one. There must be a whole lot of ammo sitting somewhere. Shelves have been empty for awhile, and manufacturers claim to be at full production. When the ammo hit the shelves, prices will probably be fairly low for a bit. I was thinking about waiting until prices hit bottom. Then, I thought that I may just go to the range this weekend. And, one box may replenish what I may shoot. So, I picked up a box. Remington is not my first choice. But, it is good for target practice, with my Henry.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:08 pm

Well, I have no clue where it may be GFK, a few weeks ago I stopped in the local Academy. They had a few odd and end things but not much.
Stopped in WW after work this morn, needed beer and some oil for the mower, and a new wiring harness for the 5x8 trailer.
Walked by the sporting goods section, no ammo.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:02 pm

the Walmart in Brookings, SD where I found 12 ga trap loads back in mid June hasn't had any more since .... outside of a few boxes of 16 ga shells, they pretty much don't have any available ammo of any caliber
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 am

Yes, I am wondering as well. The clerk at Walmart told me that people are lined up at 7am to buy ammo. It may be gone by noon. Others line up around 7pm or so to get it as it hits the shelf. She told me that few people are there at 7-8pm. So, that is a better time to be there. I am not that low. Therefore, I just may show up when I get off from work, about 5:30pm or so. Yet since a few boxes are left when I get there, I am thinking that people are starting to have enough (whatever that may be). However, I still have not seen any at the LGS. I seen 12ga, 9mm, 38, 20ga and some other riffle and pistol cartridges, but no 30-30. I guess the businesses with the buying power get first dibs?
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:32 am

I was in a shop in Spokane that is called the General Store so as you can imagine it’s a multi department store with a large sporting goods dept. (no guns, they lost their FFL many years ago due to bad record keeping :roll: ) They had a good selection of Hornady bullets which is a good sign and lots of ammo. I didn’t look specifically at the calibers available as their ammo is behind the counter and it’s hard to see without my glasses which I didn’t bring. :lol:

I’m thinking inventories are heading in a positive direction.
0 x