Go shooting with a Henry in 2022. Pass a Henry to the next generation and teach them to shoot safely, accurately and often.

Federal Punch .45acp

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Federal Punch .45acp

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 22, 2022 4:57 pm

Been trying out various ammo for my Tisas 1911 for the past few weeks. Yesterday, I tried out some of the offering from Federal - 230grn jhp. Stuff is expensive, so only shot 1 mag full (8rnds) which went feedbangeject with no problems. Accuracy was acceptable, the same as any of the other ammo I've tried out. Seems to be a good choice for HD, if my 9's run out. ;)

I don't bother with penetration "tests", since there's lot's of that nonsense on utube, and I already know that it will make a hole bigger than a 9mm and smaller than a Brenneke 12 gauge slug; which I also have. :)
2 x
Peace is that short period of time when everyone pauses to reload.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Federal Punch .45acp

Post by Rifletom » Sun May 22, 2022 5:33 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:57 pm
Been trying out various ammo for my Tisas 1911 for the past few weeks. Yesterday, I tried out some of the offering from Federal - 230grn jhp. Stuff is expensive, so only shot 1 mag full (8rnds) which went feedbangeject with no problems. Accuracy was acceptable, the same as any of the other ammo I've tried out. Seems to be a good choice for HD, if my 9's run out. ;)

I don't bother with penetration "tests", since there's lot's of that nonsense on utube, and I already know that it will make a hole bigger than a 9mm and smaller than a Brenneke 12 gauge slug; which I also have. :)
Remember Gunny, "a 9mm may expand, but, a .45 will never shrink." Thought you might like that.
5 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 am

Any one that shoots a 1911 has to be ahead of a lot of the others. John Browning and the Army got it right.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon May 23, 2022 8:26 am

Travlin wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 am
Any one that shoots a 1911 has to be ahead of a lot of the others. John Browning and the Army got it right.
First time I shot a 1911 was in the mid '50's when I was about 10 or 11. Then a lot when I was active duty. Didn't shoot one again after I retired in '83 until I bought this Tisas this past April. Life sometimes get's in the way. ;)
0 x

DsGrouse
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon May 23, 2022 12:30 pm

Image :D
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Drover
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 pm

I have shot them quite a bit, and like them a lot. But my carry 45 has always been the P220 Sig... She's nearly 30 years old, battle worn and scarred; but then so am I. (Okay, ;) I'm a whole lot older than 30, but I'm both battle worn and really, really, scarred. ) But we can both still shoot. (OR could until the move... ) I should finish the range in the next week or so, then I'll know. :oops: I'm sure my skills have degraded, but I'll get back there.

with some warmup.jpg
with some warmup.jpg (123.44 KiB) Viewed 157 times

I issued my Officers Federal Hydra Shocks or Speer Gold Dots, whatever we got on Federal Contract that year, both were excellent. That's what I still carry. I like both a lot. There may be newer ammo that's better, but you go with what you know and trust. I was involved in range testing of both for the department, and then again at a major law enforcement expo. I know firsthand I can rely on both in the platform I'm carrying, and in the Glock 22 and 23 in 40 caliber. I'm good.

As far as 1911's; I won't carry my Match Gun, nor use it around the house or property for home defense due to the 2-1/2 pound trigger. I'm comfortable with it, but I don't want to try and defend THAT after the fact.

24 rounds 25 yards.jpg
24 rounds 25 yards.jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 157 times

The Kimber is beautiful, my Bar-B-Que gun so to speak. She's a bit finicky as far as hollow point ammo goes and I don't care to chance a jam or failure to feed for an EDC gun when I have so many other dead bang reliable options to choose from.

02 Galco Leather.jpg
02 Galco Leather.jpg (135.28 KiB) Viewed 157 times
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon May 23, 2022 3:52 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 pm
I have shot them quite a bit, and like them a lot. But my carry 45 has always been the P220 Sig... She's nearly 30 years old, battle worn and scarred; but then so am I. (Okay, ;) I'm a whole lot older than 30, but I'm both battle worn and really, really, scarred. ) But we can both still shoot. (OR could until the move... ) I should finish the range in the next week or so, then I'll know. :oops: I'm sure my skills have degraded, but I'll get back there.

with some warmup.jpg

I issued my Officers Federal Hydra Shocks or Speer Gold Dots, whatever we got on Federal Contract that year, both were excellent. That's what I still carry. I like both a lot. There may be newer ammo that's better, but you go with what you know and trust. I was involved in range testing of both for the department, and then again at a major law enforcement expo. I know firsthand I can rely on both in the platform I'm carrying, and in the Glock 22 and 23 in 40 caliber. I'm good.

As far as 1911's; I won't carry my Match Gun, nor use it around the house or property for home defense due to the 2-1/2 pound trigger. I'm comfortable with it, but I don't want to try and defend THAT after the fact.

24 rounds 25 yards.jpg

The Kimber is beautiful, my Bar-B-Que gun so to speak. She's a bit finicky as far as hollow point ammo goes and I don't care to chance a jam or failure to feed for an EDC gun when I have so many other dead bang reliable options to choose from.

02 Galco Leather.jpg
Nice collection. And I see I'm not the only one who likes well made leather pancake holsters. I've got (another) one coming from Diamond D. :)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Drover
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 23, 2022 4:04 pm

I'm going to start making my own now that I'm getting into the leather work. I usually carry the Sig in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. 8-)
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:04 pm
I'm going to start making my own now that I'm getting into the leather work. I usually carry the Sig in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. 8-)
This is the Diamond D pancake ( the second one I'll have) to compare to the Galco. Note the sweat guard, and reinforced mouth. Those were the deciding factors for me. Stitching details are also a little different.

Stock photo:

Last edited by GunnyGene on Mon May 23, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Drover
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 23, 2022 4:35 pm

Very nice. I bought the Galco for the Kimber when Miss T bought the Kimber for me as a gift for an off duty gun. I had been working with Juvenile Drug Dealers an a number of them had made threats. As we carried the Glock 22 on duty on duty, I carried the 27 off duty, with two full size 22 mags for reloads.
0 x