Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Water heaters

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Water heaters

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:50 am

I saw a post on " Our morning coffee and weather" thread that is prompting my question.

I'm close to, or maybe even overdue for a new water heater. Mine actually sits outside in an insulated enclosure between my house and my shop. It's a rather narrow walkway between the two. Because of that, I'm thinking of going tankless and mounting it on my brick wall to open that walkway a bit.
Does anybody have one or have any experience or suggestions/recommendations? I think I can probably get away with it mounted outside because of our relatively mild winters here in Western North Carolina. We usually only get one or two really cold snaps per winter and they don't las but a couple days.

Mark
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Water heaters

Post by Ernie » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:11 pm

Tankless of course does not keep anything hot and it uses small tubing to heat water quickly "on demand". I am thinking those things would be very bad for a unit outside if you do get freezing weather. Don't have one, just thinking about what little I think I know about them.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:51 pm

Mark, they are generally installed in the garage, and vented through the exterior wall.
That is how I see them in the new construction homes we work on.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:56 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:51 pm
Mark, they are generally installed in the garage, and vented through the exterior wall.
That is how I see them in the new construction homes we work on.

RP
I hear Ya Randy. I was just hoping to not have to put it in my small shop. You might remember how small the shop is.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:57 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:11 pm
Tankless of course does not keep anything hot and it uses small tubing to heat water quickly "on demand". I am thinking those things would be very bad for a unit outside if you do get freezing weather. Don't have one, just thinking about what little I think I know about them.
Input is appreciated Ernie.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:59 pm

Mark, we have a tankless at camp. It's pretty good once you get the hot water. It is in the basement with the rest of the water utility items.
I' have no idea about keeping it outside, except as previously mentioned, it could freeze. They are pretty small sized.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:13 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:59 pm
Mark, we have a tankless at camp. It's pretty good once you get the hot water. It is in the basement with the rest of the water utility items.
I' have no idea about keeping it outside, except as previously mentioned, it could freeze. They are pretty small sized.
I guess I need to try and find an honest local installer who is not trying to sell me a unit and hopefully get an informed answer.🤔
It seems I heard they could be mounted outside, however, it might be a" do it at your own risk" situation. Or maybe just not here.
The climate here might be borderline for this application.🤷
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:31 am

A local plumbing company is coming by this afternoon to give me a free quote on installation and talk about my outdoor options. I was told that they do install them outside around here...we'll see how convincing they are. 🙄
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:45 pm

I have never lived in an area that did not have a harsh winter so my first response is to be negative about an outdoor water heater or exposed water system in the winter. So disregard me and listen to your local expert. I am curious about information you get on the tankless systems.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:48 pm

Ernie wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:45 pm
I have never lived in an area that did not have a harsh winter so my first response is to be negative about an outdoor water heater or exposed water system in the winter. So disregard me and listen to your local expert. I am curious about information you get on the tankless systems.
Don't have the quote yet, maybe tomorrow. They said they have installed them in this area and it would be ok. It would have some sort of heat box on the bottom. Forgot what he called it. Anyway, he said he would give me a detailed estimate probably by tomorrow eve. Will post what I find out.
The brand he wants to install is "Navien"...we'll see.
BTW, I take your opinion seriously, thank you. I DO remain skeptical.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry