Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kitchen Range Project

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Kitchen Range Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:51 pm

It has been a crappy week. Several major issues going on, and hard to get to work on the Range Project, but I have snuck in time where I could. I did get to HD and found a stain and did some test pieces, and Miss T approved the last attempt, so I got the doors done, as well as all the kick pieces. This morning I began the layout and assembly. First, the layout to determine the spacing. Careful measurements and spacing...

The spice rack was first because it needed to be glued up. Note the blue tape marking the top overhang. The handle actually got moved up to about seven inches below the top of the door per Miss T... but this spacing is correct otherwise.

65 spice layout.jpg
65 spice layout.jpg (350.82 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Once I had the spice rack layout, I could use it as a reference for the storage door layout. I checked and rechecked the layout, and then marked the locations for the handles and drilled the holes on the drill press to insure they were straight thru. The holes on the storage door were not as critical, but the spice rack would be going through the spice rack frame as well. Once the holes were drilled I spread a nice coat of glue on the spice rack and carefully positioned the faux door facing and clamped it in place. I set that aside to dry.

67 spice glued up.jpg
67 spice glued up.jpg (253.76 KiB) Viewed 552 times
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:55 pm

I turned my attention to the storage door. Of course the short screws were too short and the long screws too long, so I countersunk the holes at the back and installed the handle. Then, clamping the door on the workbench, installed the hinges. The assembly was done and ready...

66 storage done.jpg
66 storage done.jpg (354.15 KiB) Viewed 552 times

I gathered the door and all the tools and with Miss T's help, we got 'er installed. Care has to be taken not to snap of a screw head. It can be fixed, but it's a huge PITA. :twisted: Note that the door height matches the distance from the top of the drawer to the bottom of the cabinet door. It is not an accident. In the earlier pics you can see the opening for the storage cabinet USED to be a lot taller. I cut and added filler pieces top and bottom so that this accent would work. ;)

68 storage door installed.jpg
68 storage door installed.jpg (334.36 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Storage door... Hey, it looked good and it opens, it closes, it opens, it closes. :)

69 storage door open.jpg
69 storage door open.jpg (408.33 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:56 pm

Yup, there are some scuffs. When I install the toe molding and stain it, I'll touch up the scuffs and ... no worries.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:03 pm

The final step was a couple hours (four) later, when the glue had dried pretty well, and I removed the clamps. First I came in from the inside and went thru the poplar and into the oak, about halfway, and set some 1-1/4" screws into the top edge and bottom edge to help the glue hold. Then I drilled thru the poplar for the handle screws using the holes in the oak door face as a guide and installed the handle. Those screws go all the way thru so they are additional security. Mission completed.

Installation of the spice rack was as simple as sliding the spice rack back into the drawer pull tracks.

70 spice rack installed.jpg
70 spice rack installed.jpg (343.46 KiB) Viewed 552 times

It pulls out, and slides back in. The pulls are soft close.

71 spice rack pulled out.jpg
71 spice rack pulled out.jpg (381.73 KiB) Viewed 552 times

The project is complete except for two short pieces of 1/2 x 1" trim at the foot of the kickplate and some touchup on the stain and waxing. We are golden. I am pleased. I, of course, see errors. The one major one I wanted to pull and fix, but Miss T said to leave it. I discussed it earlier. Overall, I'm happy with my design and the outcome. :P
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:04 pm

I'll post a pic of the spice rack once she fills it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 am

The handles on the two doors vs. knobs? The spice rack has some weight to it, and will have a bit more. It slides smoothly on the drawer pulls thanks to the quality of the slides, but I didn't think the knobs would give Miss T the best grip, so the satin nickel handles compliment the knobs but give her a solid grip. Did the door on the other side need the extra Oomph on the opening. No, but I wanted to balance the visual.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:06 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 am
The handles on the two doors vs. knobs? The spice rack has some weight to it, and will have a bit more. It slides smoothly on the drawer pulls thanks to the quality of the slides, but I didn't think the knobs would give Miss T the best grip, so the satin nickel handles compliment the knobs but give her a solid grip. Did the door on the other side need the extra Oomph on the opening. No, but I wanted to balance the visual.
Interesting, your handles for the two new cabinets are exactly the same as the handles we put on all our drawers. That’s a nice look and I would like to see a picture showing both cabinets when you get one.

Again, I sit here in awe of those of you who are such craftsmen. It’s been a fun journey BOM, thanks for taking us along.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Ask and you shall receive, but ... the problem with trying to take a picture of both: :roll:
The kitchen is VERY narrow so it's hard to get far enough back to get a good shot. I did the best I could.

72 both.jpg
72 both.jpg (350.14 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Not bad for an old geezer, an amateur who feels his way along.
I encountered problems along the way and just adapt and overcome. :P
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:20 pm

The job you did is nothing short of excellent!! ...looks great!
It looks totally natural. Like part of the original kitchen design. You always surprise me with your talent...,but...then again, I'm not surprised after seeing your many builds. You Da Man Jim!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:29 pm

Thanks all. I just take my time and don't let mistakes frustrate me. (Too much.)
0 x