Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Garage Doors

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Garage Doors

Post by JEBar » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:22 pm

over the last month we've been collecting estimates to have two garage doors replaced .... I never ceased to be amazed at just how expensive it can be to have such things taken care of these days and this has been no exception .... all together we had folks from 5 different companies come by .... in cost, there is a just over $500 spread from the most expensive to the least expensive estimate .... with the decision made, I just booked the company to replace the doors one week from today (Friday, March 4th) .... our detached garage doesn't have a separate entrance door .... for that reason we had them price in a door that can be opened during a power outage .... other than that it should be a pretty straight forward job .... we don't park vehicles in ours so it pretty well filled with mowers, kids battery vehicles, boat accessories and bunches of other stuff .... one of our sons will be coming by either late Thursday or early Friday to help clean out space for them to work .... the doors have been there since the late '70's/early 80's, we'll be very happy to see them go
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Garage Doors

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:18 pm

The joys of home ownership! My garage is completely empty.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:18 pm

How much $$ for the new doors? I had a 16' plain jane door installed for a $1000 back in 2006, I imagine they're quite a bit more now. My door has a release so it can be opened and closed without power but you have to hook it back up to have the door locked. I do have a separate entrance door.

I built my garage specifically for my new Miata so it's always parked in it. A friend helped me with the slab and a crew came and put the carport up, I paid to have the garage door installed but did all the rest myself. My total cost back then was right around $6000.

It is nice to have a place for my tools and stuff and although it's not heated it is insulated so unless it's really cold I can run a couple of space heaters and get it warm enough to be OK when I need to work on something in the Winter.

1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:58 pm

our best quote has been just over $2,800 for removing and hauling off the 2 current doors along with both motors, tracks, etc .... then installing 2 new 9' X 7' doors along with 2 new motors and all other necessary tracks/hardware .... one new motor will have a battery backup to run it when the power is off .... every person who gave us a quote told us that the doors and hardware cost them more today than they charged their customer 3 or so years ago
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 am

Not as much as I thought it would be for 2 doors and openers.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:53 am

That battery backup is a great idea. Never heard of that.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:57 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 am
Not as much as I thought it would be for 2 doors and openers.
one of the facts I have been wrestling with centers on if we should not install two electric door openers, install one electric door opener, or even if wouldn't make more sense to not install any electric openers .... as noted, the garage is not attached to our home, it doesn't have a separate regular door, and its main function is that of a storage facility ... the electric openers are a considerable convenience but certainly aren't a necessity .... even now that we have placed a firm order, I'm still waffling
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:53 pm

Maybe try them without openers, you can always have openers installed later. Are the doors you are getting capable of being locked? My door doesn't have any locking hardware, it's just the opener that keeps it secure. Did the doors you are replacing have openers? If the mounts for the openers are already there it won't require much labor to install new ones so you probably won't save that much, openers with battery backup are only around $200.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... 4294858020
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:20 pm

I'm sure that the doors they are going to be installed don't have individual locks and as you mention the locking open or closed comes from the the lift motors .... we are pretty well locked into the ones we contracted and that's not a bad thing
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 pm

My doors have the torsion spring and work well. Have never had an electric door opener.
1 x