Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Garage Doors

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Garage Doors

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:47 pm

where we've lived since '78 is the only place we've ever had a garage .... its always had electric garage door openers but they haven't worked in several years .... where we really like them is being able to push a remote and open them in bad weather .... doing so cuts down the time we are standing in the rain while unlocking and manually raising the doors
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:03 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 pm
My doors have the torsion spring and work well. Have never had an electric door opener.
I passed on the electric opener this last time also. The torsion bars work great and a lot faster just to open the darn things than wait for an opener.
Jake
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:50 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:03 pm
fortyshooter wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 pm
My doors have the torsion spring and work well. Have never had an electric door opener.
I passed on the electric opener this last time also. The torsion bars work great and a lot faster just to open the darn things than wait for an opener.
Jake
I would think as far as saving time it would take longer when coming home to get out of the car and open the door and then get back in to drive it into the garage than waiting for the opener. And when you leave you would have do the same, get out, put the door down and then get back in. Of course I'm usually driving my Miata and as I'm getting older it is getting harder for me to get in and out of it. ;). I'm just not willing to give up the convenience of an electric opener especially considering how cheap they are. I do have a regular sized door at the back of my garage so if I'm just going into the garage for something and not taking the car out I don't have to open the big door.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:21 am

I have electric opener’s. Had the door guy from the company come and rebuild the openers and replaced all the rollers in the doors before I retired. They were about 18 years old then. I also installed the MyQ system. Works good I can open my garage from anywhere. I never wait for my door to open. The app also tells me if the door is open or closed
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:00 am

interesting system .... ours won't be anywhere near that high tech
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:00 am

dave77 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:53 pm
Maybe try them without openers, you can always have openers installed later. Are the doors you are getting capable of being locked? My door doesn't have any locking hardware, it's just the opener that keeps it secure. Did the doors you are replacing have openers? If the mounts for the openers are already there it won't require much labor to install new ones so you probably won't save that much, openers with battery backup are only around $200.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... 4294858020
Our new system has a switch on the inside door control that you can flip to lock the door openers if you are leaving for vacation or going out of town for the weekend. You open the door, flip the switch to locked, drive out and close the door with the remote. It won't open with the remote again until you come through the house and return the switch to unlock. However, if someone broke in, and pulled the track release they could open the doors manually.

So, if we leave for any length of time, I put a lock thru the track against a runner wheel, freezing the door in the down position, and turn off the door opener to prevent accidental activation damaging the system. Once we return, I remove the locks and restore the system.

Overkill? Maybe, but with my career, I've seen houses cleaned out while folks were on vacation. I've never been able to relax when I'm gone, alarm system, cameras, and all. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:14 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:00 am
dave77 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:53 pm
Maybe try them without openers, you can always have openers installed later. Are the doors you are getting capable of being locked? My door doesn't have any locking hardware, it's just the opener that keeps it secure. Did the doors you are replacing have openers? If the mounts for the openers are already there it won't require much labor to install new ones so you probably won't save that much, openers with battery backup are only around $200.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... 4294858020
Our new system has a switch on the inside door control that you can flip to lock the door openers if you are leaving for vacation or going out of town for the weekend. You open the door, flip the switch to locked, drive out and close the door with the remote. It won't open with the remote again until you come through the house and return the switch to unlock. However, if someone broke in, and pulled the track release they could open the doors manually.

So, if we leave for any length of time, I put a lock thru the track against a runner wheel, freezing the door in the down position, and turn off the door opener to prevent accidental activation damaging the system. Once we return, I remove the locks and restore the system.

Overkill? Maybe, but with my career, I've seen houses cleaned out while folks were on vacation. I've never been able to relax when I'm gone, alarm system, cameras, and all. :D
The old doors could open if the electric went out so I always put a bolt and nut on the rail in front of one of the runners. I don't know if the new openers have a way to prevent manual opening when the electric is off.
Jake
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:17 am

“ Our new system has a switch on the inside door control that you can flip to lock the door openers if you are leaving for vacation or going out of town for the weekend. You open the door, flip the switch to locked, drive out and close the door with the remote. It won't open with the remote again until you come through the house and return the switch to unlock. However, if someone broke in, and pulled the track release they could open the doors manually. ”

Thanks for this, my opener has the lock position on the switch but I have never been able to make it work.

Owners manual, reading directions……. Ya, I know….. :lol:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:03 pm

first picture old door on the left .... new on the right .... 2nd picture two new doors .... the install of all new equipment took a day and a half .... not much apparent improvement is apparent in the pictures but in person the difference in performance remarkable ... :D
Attachments
220305 001 1 old  1 new 001.jpg
220305 001 1 old 1 new 001.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
220305 002  new 001.jpg
220305 002 new 001.jpg (74.39 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:27 am

Now you need to put a coat of paint on the building to match the shiny new doors. :lol:
0 x